Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Re-install Flash multiple times daily?!?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2012, 07:22 AM #1
Re-install Flash multiple times daily?!?
Scenario system: Dell Inspiron laptop, Studio 16 XPS, Windows 7 Home Premium w/Service Pack 1 (64 bit), Intel Core Duo 2.8 Ghz, 4 GB RAM.

The problem is that Flash will not stay installed. Another problem (related?) is that I *cannot* install Itunes on this computer, it will error out each time, and Apple is notorious for telling me it is a Windows problem, nothing they can do, so I found a way around the "long pole in the tent" requirement of Itunes to Sync iPad/iPod, and this really isn't even a "problem" anymore as much as an annoyance.

Other utilities -- Avast virus protection, Malware Bytes, Spybot Search/Destroy with immunization, and always running Iolo System Mechanic. All software and operating system is up to date with current patches and updates.

A program I use regularly that may be suspect but also seems so innocuous as to have no bearing on it is a keyboard macro program, Keyboard Express v4. For example with this program, I can define some hot keys like ALT-CTRL-T which will insert some text I define to the program into wherever the cursor is at on the current web page or Word document. Always text, no graphics or funkiness here.

I usually use Firefox (v11.0) as my browser but interestingly enough, I discover that Flash has also disappeared when I go to IE (v9), and it appears there is a different Flash for IE than there is for Firefox, depending on which browser is used to download (multiple times DAILY) the Flash installer. (?)

An interesting aspect is that after I re-install Flash, IE and/or Firefox, then later on go to Outlook and click a link in an email, Outlook gives me an error message about not being able to open the link. But if I reboot, Outlook is now fine to click on and open that same link, although Flash has again gone away.

I really love this Dell laptop but can no longer tolerate this "Flash goes away" issue. With the number of sites that use Flash these days, this "Flash going away, re-install multiple times daily" issue has gotten to the point where it needs to get resolved. If it comes down to re-installing Windoze, I will opt instead to get a Macbook and just leave Microsloth to flounder. No wonder Steve jobs hated Adobe.....

Before I visit the Apple store, can anybody provide a solution for this? Again, I love this Dell laptop and would hate to just use it as a doorstop but that is what it is coming to.

Thanks!
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,338 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Apr-2012, 08:45 AM #2
Flash is certainly not uninstalling on its own. Are you actually looking inside Control Panel > "Programs and Features" for Flash?

You are installing the 64-bit Adobe Flash Player, right? Have you tried both Internet Explorer 32-bit and 64-bit? The same Adobe Flash Player 64-bit with include the 32-bit version.

I'd remove Flash from your computer with the Flash Uninstaller, then reinstall the latest Adobe Flash Player.

32-bit Flash Uninstaller

64-bit Flash Uninstaller

Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.228 (Firefox) 64-bit

Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.228 (IE) 64-bit

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

Why don't you just Google it?
If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

12-Apr-2012, 10:00 AM #3
Pretty unlikely its Adobe; they were a little rough around the edges with the new update method causing some interruptions but it hasn't been a problem now for the last several versions (at least no problems on a couple dozen systems here).
If it really is being installed each time, and subsequently uninstalled, something is actively doing that as Phantom said, and if its not being misidentified by security software then it could be something worse not wanting it's territory infringed upon.

Many things to have a gripe about when it comes to Adobe but I don't think this is one of them; for instance, I wouldn't touch Adobe Reader anymore with a ten foot pole, even if its terrific now (I wouldn't know).
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2012, 10:09 AM #4
Never understood why so many people were having trouble with the Adobe Flash Player.

After all these years, wouldn't it be about time for a foolproof (for real) Flash install process !?!

Alongside with Java, Adobe really isn't reliable.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

12-Apr-2012, 04:25 PM #5
Thanks for the replies. I read in a couple places online that the vast majority of Windows system utilities are garbage starting with Windows7, so I completely UNINSTALLED System Mechanic, since that seems in my mind to coincide with approximately when this problem started.

Now to FIX the problem, where re-installing Windoze is not an option I am willing to endure. I'll try the uninstall for flash as recommended above, since I have never done that before, just simply REinstalled Flash cuz Firefox or IE9 or HP Scan Software or something said it needed it and it wasn't there.

Question: if I can locate my original Win7 CD which I've got somewhere, would using the REPAIR option fix the problems without needing to re-install Windows completely?
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2012, 04:49 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk1200 View Post
Question: if I can locate my original Win7 CD which I've got somewhere, would using the REPAIR option fix the problems without needing to re-install Windows completely?
That really depends on the problem.

Are you having trouble installing anything else on your computer?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

12-Apr-2012, 06:15 PM #7
I may be hosed beyond help. When I DO have Flash installed and working with IE or FF, an interesting side effect happens -- when I click a link in an email from Outlook (22007), I get an error; ie, "General failure, (URL), an error occurred in sending the command to the application".

wth?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

12-Apr-2012, 06:15 PM #8
outlook 2007
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

14-Apr-2012, 11:03 AM #9
Things are better. Maybe not 100% but after UNinstalling Iolo System Mechanic, I haven't had to reinstall Flash in almost 2 days, so outside of a still somewhat hosed computer, it least it is now less hosed than it used to be.
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2012, 02:26 PM #10
You should definitely avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good.

System Mechanic has likely deleted legitimate files still in use. An automated registry cleaning process has no way of really knowing what's needed or needs to be removed. Only advanced users should manually remove entries in the registry, for very specific reasons. A registry doesn't need to be cleaned anyway. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from it.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Apr-2012, 04:17 PM #11
Hi Phantom
this is regarding your older post http://forums.techguy.org/general-se...history-2.html this is the link where you have suggested to prevent IE history to be deleted....that worked in my PC but 2nd one is not working ....i mean as suggested i did for the Delete browsing history but it didnt worked out....PLEASE HELP
and my PC has Windows 7 home edition 64bit...

Thanks for the assistance and your time..!! have a great time!!!
Computer Specs

27-Apr-2012, 04:27 PM #12
Those registry hacks are mainly for Windows XP. I haven't tried them for Windows 7. They won't be the same since both registries are not identical.

You should start a new thread about it in the Windows 7 forum.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Apr-2012, 05:03 PM #13
I am not familiar with these registery things
could you pls help!!
or anyotherway to prevent deleting history...
Computer Specs

27-Apr-2012, 05:17 PM #14
Try THIS.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
flash, windows7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!