Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 Blue Screen on Sleep Mode Wake Up

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Apr-2012, 06:02 PM #1
Exclamation Windows 7 Blue Screen on Sleep Mode Wake Up
Hi everyone!

I've been having a problem with Windows 7 recently on my new computer that I just got a couple weeks ago. The problem is that my computer will have a blue screen error when waking from sleep mode. I don't see the blue screen at all, instead, when waking from sleep mode, I see the BIOS screen and then it goes through the typical startup process as if the computer had been powered OFF instead of put into sleep mode (however, I know it was properly in sleep mode, as the power light on my tower flashes continually rather than shutting off during this mode). I get the message that Windows did not shut down properly and have the option to boot into safe mode, etc. When I boot back into normal mode I receive a message in Windows saying windows has recovered from an unexpected shut down. I follow the prompt to check for a solution, but get no solution.

Here is the Problem Signature generated at the time. If you need the .dmp or .xml files that further describe the problem, please tell me how to make these available to you.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF8800F66DB3A
BCP3: FFFFF880009EA288
BCP4: FFFFF880009E9AE0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041812-14024-01.dmp
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-46020-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
My computer only has one hard drive (C: ) and it is a 2 TB SATA drive. I have read about the following hotfix regarding large sized SATA drives causing this same issue in Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178

However, when I tried to install the hotfix, I was given the message "This update does not apply to your system", which I have read may be an indicator that the update has already been installed?

I have run Chkdsk on drive C successfully, and I have installed every available windows update as of today (Apr 14, 2012)

Please let me know what I can do to fix this, and let me know if you need any more info.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by ShiningLion; 18-Apr-2012 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: added some extra info
Computer Specs
Moderator with 62,642 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 08:01 AM #2
how do you know for sure it's getting a blue screen?

It sounds like you have your hard drives set to power down during sleep....have you checked this yet?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 05:23 PM #3
Hi Valis, thanks for your reply.

The reason I think it's a blue screen is the first couple lines of the Problem Signature, generated by windows when I boot up and get the message "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown"
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
That's what it says^ (the rest of the problem signature can be found in my first post)

I tried changing the power settings (via control panel> power options> advanced settings) on the hard drive to "never" shut down, then put it into sleep mode, and got the same error. When waking from sleep mode it went back to BIOS and booted Windows normally, then gave me the "unexpected shutdown" error message.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 06:05 PM #4
if you have something at c:\windows\minidump, please zip it and attach it here.

If you don't have anything there, please let us know.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 06:15 PM #5
I've attached the contents of the minidump folder in a ZIP. There are 5 .dmp files and I am pretty sure all 5 of the .dmps in here are logs of the same error, just repeated instances, as I haven't gotten any other windows errors outside of this one, and I have gotten this error message about that many times.

Also, I installed my motherboard's latest chipset driver just to be sure it wasn't something related to that, but the problem still persists. No luck so far.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidumps.zip (90.6 KB, 31 views)
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 06:34 PM #6
Im on my mobile now but will take a look at that tomorrow, if nobody else picks it up overnight.

Thanks,

v
Trusted Advisor with 15,440 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 07:16 PM #7
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys
Many of the minidumps are showing the same as above.

Nvidia Video drivers may need updating.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 07:18 PM #8
Thanks blues_harp, owe you one. Again.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 10:22 PM #9
Hi Blues Harp,

I checked and my NVidia driver is up to date, but I decided to do download the latest from the website and do a clean install just to be sure. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. Now that you have mentioned that driver is an issue, I am seeing lots of other recent posts on forums online about this driver causing the BSOD, in some cases after sleep mode. I haven't found a working answer to this problem on any forums, but it is apparently an issue a lot of people are dealing with.

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure where to go from here.

I have a few general questions about sleep mode, if I may.

Is there an alternative to sleep mode that will let the computer rest and consume less power, without actually using sleep mode? I do have my system set up to turn off the display and hard drive after a certain time limit. What does sleep mode do beyond that? Am I really missing out on anything important here by not using it?

I hadn't really considered this until now, because I've been stuck in "It's broken! Must fix it!" mode, but now I'm starting to wonder.

Last edited by ShiningLion; 24-Apr-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2012, 12:09 AM #10
Is kt a laptop or a desktop?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 12:40 AM #11
It's a desktop.
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 02:53 AM #12
Hi ShiningLion, I have the same problem as you. But concerning your question about consuming less power. Is your computer running windows 7? Because if it is, go to a inactive battery power plan. This is under Control Panel -> Power Options -> (Whatever plan that is inactive) -> Advanced Power Settings. You can then change whatever you want to minimize power. For example, you can put the processor at 5% during idle mode.

Hope this helps.
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2012, 07:51 AM #13
heyya shininglion, as it's a desktop, please try the below and see what happens. I *never* turn my desktops off; the monitors, yes, but the the pc at idle doesn't pull enough juice to worry me, and it's easier on the rig to just keep the damn thing on.

Lappers are another story, due to the thermal footprint issues, but that's neither here nor there.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 Blue Screen on Sleep Mode Wake Up-capture.png  

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

26-Apr-2012, 07:21 AM #14
Hey Valis, thanks for the info. I had already set it not to go into sleep mode and to just shut off the display. I didn't know it is easier on the machine to just stay powered on though. That's good to hear, in my case. Is it easier on the Hard Disks to keep them running? Or should those go off after being idle for a certain time? I currently have my computer set to shut the hard drive down after 20 minutes of being idle.
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2012, 07:59 AM #15
I'd say it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I've heard arguments both for and against keeping the pc's on 24/7, but in my experience, I've always left desktops on and turned lappers off. I reboot desktops weekly (windows desktops, that is) just due memory leaks, and I've found with W7 I don't even have to do that. I may reboot this rig I'm on now monthly....so there is my nickel's worth......keep 'em on.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!