Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows has detected another pc with the same IP address...also yellow ! on wireless.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Apr-2012, 06:04 PM #1
Windows has detected another pc with the same IP address...also yellow ! on wireless.
I just got this laptop 2 months ago. Everything has been great, until the last week. I was losing internet sporadically and at one time I didn't have internet for awhile so I reset my Windstream router. Then a message said to register my internet, which I did. I also had windstream come in and they said my phone lines needed work so they set up a separate line for the phone and a separate line for the internet. I thought that would fix the problems I have been having.

I get a message about 3 times a day that says "Windows has detected another PC with the same IP address". I only have 1 laptop and an IPOD Touch. What is causing this message?

A lot of the times I lose the internet and I see a yellow explanation point over the wireless icon in my toolbar....at that time all the lights were on the router. I shut down my laptop and the internet is back. One time I believe I clicked on the exlplanation point and was able to get it back, but I'm not 100% sure on that. What is causing this? I have Norton 360 installed...could that be it? I believe there was an update for Adobe or Windows or something that came up at startup one day that I performed....could that be it? Is it my internet provider Windstream? My router? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, this is my family's first laptop and first experience having the internet.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,013 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 07:15 PM #2
Is it a wireless router? If so, and you are not using WPA(2) encryption somebody else may be leeching your service and causing the duplicate IP.

If any of your devices is using a static IP and it is not outside the router's Dhcp server's address range that would be incorrect, and is probably causing the duplicate. (I doubt you are using any static IPs.)

If you reset or power cycle the router while any device thinks it still has a right to a lease (assigned IP address) that can cause the dup. IP. If this happens shut down all devices, power cycle the router, and then turn on your computers and other devices.

The router could be defective or "confused." Reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 07:34 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Is it a wireless router? If so, and you are not using WPA(2) encryption somebody else may be leeching your service and causing the duplicate IP.

If any of your devices is using a static IP and it is not outside the router's Dhcp server's address range that would be incorrect, and is probably causing the duplicate. (I doubt you are using any static IPs.)

If you reset or power cycle the router while any device thinks it still has a right to a lease (assigned IP address) that can cause the dup. IP. If this happens shut down all devices, power cycle the router, and then turn on your computers and other devices.

The router could be defective or "confused." Reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.
It is a wireless router. I think it may have been your third option. When I lost internet connection over the weekend (before Windstream came and replaced the lines), I had the yellow ! (I get this still sporadically). The internet was down for awhile. So while the IPOD was on (it also would not connect) and the laptop was on, I reset the router....after it came back up, I had to re-register my internet with Windstream (I had a message on my laptop telling me to do so).

So you think I should shut down my IPOD and my LAPTOP, and then RESET the router?
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 08:15 PM #4
Was just on the internet again, and was on youtube, and everything was working fine.

Then I lost the internet and the yellow ! came up again on the wireless icon.

When I scrolled over the ! it showed my network name and said "No Internet Access."

When I left clicked on the yellow ! it says "connected", but I wasn't able to do anything on the internet.

I right clicked on the yellow ! to "diagnose".....when through some diagnostics I gues and then it says "you have not chosen to connect to any of the available networks."

Then without me doing anything, the yellow ! goes away and I have internet access.

This is very frustrating and happens sporadically throughout the day.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

20-Apr-2012, 04:33 PM #5
Quote:

Reset the router and the same thing happened. I called my internet provider (windstream) and they rebooted the system, and still nothing. Clicked on the browser and it asked me to register the wireless router, and when it finished the internet started working. They were insisting it was something with my laptop. I told them my ipod also stopped working at the same time. They had 0 answers for me. Her only answer was to giggle the ethernet chord going into the router. Something is going on, and I am so frustrated.
Computer Specs

20-Apr-2012, 05:03 PM #6
I don't understand "register my internet" (post # 1), "re-register my internet with Windstream" (post # 3), "register the wireless router" (post # 5) and "giggle the ethernet chord" post # 5).

Do these disconnects also occur for an ethernet connection to the router or only the wireless connected devices?

If the disconnects occur with an ethernet connection and if you have a separate modem do the disconnects occur with a connection directly to the modem?
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

20-Apr-2012, 10:13 PM #7
Quote:
I don't understand "register my internet" (post # 1), "re-register my internet with Windstream" (post # 3), "register the wireless router" (post # 5) and "giggle the ethernet chord" post # 5).

Do these disconnects also occur for an ethernet connection to the router or only the wireless connected devices?

If the disconnects occur with an ethernet connection and if you have a separate modem do the disconnects occur with a connection directly to the modem?
I have only used wireless. I'm not sure what the "register my internet" is. I should have written it down. After I reset my router, the first site the browser went to was Windstream, and it made me put in my phone #, email address, and password. Then it went through about 5 steps and ended with Thank you for choosing Windstream or something like that. Anyway, I reset the router and still had the same errors. They reset the router from their end and the internet came back and has been good for awhile. I also just did about 5 HP updates...something about BIOS or something....I have no idea what that was. Keeping my fingers crossed that this keeps working without stoppage. Thanks for the input.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 11:49 PM #8
Someone recommended I run CMD.exe,,,?
I am having problems losing my internet connection. I posted here and I tried doing what the moderator advised, but it did not help. Keep losing internet and keep getting the yellow ! on the wireless icon. Keep getting a message saying "windows has detected another pc using the same IP address." We are losing internet connection on my laptop and ipod simultaneously. I rebooted my router (advised here) and still the same problems.

Someone on another forum recommended I do the following, but didn't tell me what it does, or why he is recommending it.

What does this do, and could it help with my problem:

Go to Start type in CMD locate CMD.exe right click on cmd.exe then select "Run As Administrator"

At the command prompt type in

Ipconfig /release
Ipconfig /renew
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Apr-2012, 12:59 AM #9
It's worth a try. It might give you a new IP. Do you know if you have a static IP configured on either device?
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

22-Apr-2012, 01:12 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
It's worth a try. It might give you a new IP. Do you know if you have a static IP configured on either device?
I have no idea. Sorry, but I have no idea what that is. What is a static IP? Sorry for being stupid with this.

What is the cmd.exe? What will it do? Can it hurt my laptop if I do what was recommended? How can doing something on my laptop correct a problem that is also on my IPOD?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Apr-2012, 02:52 AM #11
Because, if you have the same IP on both devices, you need only change one of them.

Go to Start > Run, and type:

ncpa.cpl <Enter>

Right-click your connection and choose "Properties".

Double-click the IPv4 section. What does it say for IP address? Does it say to select one automatically?
Computer Specs

22-Apr-2012, 09:38 AM #12
I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

22-Apr-2012, 09:00 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Because, if you have the same IP on both devices, you need only change one of them.

Go to Start > Run, and type:

ncpa.cpl <Enter>

Right-click your connection and choose "Properties".

Double-click the IPv4 section. What does it say for IP address? Does it say to select one automatically?
OK. I did that. It reads the following when I double-clicked IPv4:

Obtain IP address automatically......this was chosen

Obtain DNS Service address automatically....this was chosen
Member with 19 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 01:44 AM #14
It is solved? I have an idea.

Have you ever tolde somebody your internet accses password? If you did so, the man or somebody could log in to your internet and pressed to log in automaticly, and you can change your password, but if he had loged in your internet, it will be useless. What to do. In adress place write your IP, log in, and you will see ho is loged in. Maybe you will see your Ipod's IP, your computer's IP and one more, so you have to limit it.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 11:43 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axor View Post
It is solved? I have an idea.

Have you ever tolde somebody your internet accses password? If you did so, the man or somebody could log in to your internet and pressed to log in automaticly, and you can change your password, but if he had loged in your internet, it will be useless. What to do. In adress place write your IP, log in, and you will see ho is loged in. Maybe you will see your Ipod's IP, your computer's IP and one more, so you have to limit it.
Not solved. Still getting knocked off at times during the day. I have never given anyone my internet access password.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!