Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: ultimate boot and admin privileges

(!)

Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Hobbiest-Intermediate
23-Apr-2012, 05:20 PM #1
Solved: ultimate boot and admin privileges
I'm still struggling around getting used to w7... and ran into a weird apparent contradiction. I installed UBCD4WinV304 but ran into problems right off. First, UB (Ultimate Boot) installed fine, then went looking for os files to "compile." I realized those files weren't on the machine, so after UB finished looking and not finding, I put the w7 installation cd in cdr drive to try that again. This time, the compiling process would not start because it said I needed admin privileges. OK, so I went to see why that had apparently changed (no such message the first time). Because this is a new box and I am still building it up software-wise, there is only one "account," and no password, as the original w7 install default, and that account DOES have admin privileges -- but no way to CHANGE that setting. [No "guest" account is actve.] But since that was the setting I presumably wanted, I stopped messing with the admin issude and kept trying, several times, re-installing, etc.

First, I tried un/re-installing UBCD. The un-install apparently didn't clean up after itself, so the UBCD folder was still there, but empty. Re-installed after manually deleting the folder in the root directory. Ugh. The subsequent re-install told me a file was missing from the original download(!). So I went to another site, chose a mirror, and started all over again, this time electing to verify the download. But the UB still wants and does not find my admin privileges, for some reason, even thought the user accounts and settings are unchanged and still have the admin as the only active account.

My w7 has all updates, incl SP1. (And it is built from the windows install CD that came with the computer, with added updates and no "tweaks.")

Sorry if that's more than needed, but can somebody help with this? Do I need to make another user account in order to have a separate "admin" account? (That seems an odd setup to me, but what do I know...) I am trying to avoid setting a password for the moment so installing software is easier, not needing me to sit here for every re-boot.

Thanx!
Member with 208 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 05:26 PM #2
Just to be sure I was clear -- I am not able to change the user account settings, all greyed and untouchable. There is a link to answer the question of why they reccommend "standard," but the setting is NOT standard ("admin"), and cannot be changed...?!?

I fear this may be two different problems intersecting, one with windows user accounts and the other with the UBCD software. Ugh. Eager to hear thoughts.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,900 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 06:40 PM #3
I only have one suggestion, and not at all sure that it fits the evidence. Right click on UBCD and select 'Run as administrator.'
Member with 208 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 07:25 PM #4
Ah, it worked... but now a new problem. UBCD wants the file "i386\setupldr.bin" and there is no file on my hdd or on the installation disk with that name. Can't do the compilation without finding that file... I let UBCD do it's own search, then I also manually searched the CD; no luck. My installation CD came with the computer, as said. Durnnit. Is it possible/likely that this proprietary installation disk is substantively different than, say, a w7 installation I would buy off the shelf? I'd really like to move past this and have a restoration disk with all those Ultimate Boot goodies on it.
Member with 208 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 07:25 PM #5
Thank you, by the way! I sometimes forget to say that...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,900 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 07:56 PM #6
You're welcome.

Did you get an installation DVD? If so, it should look similar to my attachment. However, I searched both the 32- and 64-bit DVDs and there is no i386 and no setupldr. Is it possible that UBCD is looking for, say, an XP file?
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: ultimate boot and admin privileges-install.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
23-Apr-2012, 08:23 PM #7
UBCD4Win is based entirely on XP. You can create the CD on Windows 7 if you have a source of (licensed) XP files.

You can make a bootable Win7 CD/DVD with WinBuilder, but you may need the latest Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK).

UBCD4Win is a bit old now. If you mount a Vista or 7 partition with it, the first thing it will do is revert the version of NTFS to an older one, causing all restore points and shadow copies to be lost. A Windows 7 based repair tool is the best choice, especially if you ever want to use it for file recovery later.

Last edited by Elvandil; 23-Apr-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Member with 208 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 12:17 AM #8
Again, ugh. I have several licensed xp disks, including an xp64 version on another partition on this drive. But the real issue is that I want a w7 repair disk, but I also want the other tools Ultimate Boot offers. I believe you, of course; but I found what I downloaded from a search for "Ultimate Boot W7." Oh well. I guess I missed the fine print.

Can you aim me to a W7 Ultimate Boot/iso (etc) that I could use? And do I now have a corrupted NT file system on this partition...? If so, (a) how would I know that? and (b) can I fix the file system without re-formatting...? (I think I already know the answer to that last one: "no," right...?)

Thank you, Elvandil! Not the first time you've helped me, and I do appreciate it. Same for you, Terry.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 12:42 AM #9
Search for WinBuilder. Once you download the program, decide what CD you want to make, the program automatically downloads the plugins for programs (and a lot of the programs themselves) and the creation of the CD is automated. Some of the plugins will take registered programs that you have installed on your system now and incorporate them into the CD/DVD. I have a W7 boot DVD with all my registered tools and hard drive management software on it. It took some time to create, but you can do it.

An excellent resource is www.reboot.pro

(Whether corruption can be fixed depends what type of corruption. The reason you don't see third-party disk fixers is that chkdsk is without peer - it is an excellent and amazing repair tool. But it can't fix partitions. It fixes NTFS. If it gets incorrect data from a partition table, it will scramble files like there's no tomorrow.)

Last edited by Elvandil; 24-Apr-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Member with 208 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 01:50 AM #10
So you're recommending that I run chkdsk in repair mode? If so, do I need to examine ALL my drives (I had a bunch of external drives plugged in usb when I tried to do the UBCD creation)?

The corruption I'm wondering about is what you mentioned, the changes made to NTFS when this UBCD ran the first time. I got no further than the search for that nt loader file. Is this still a concern? (The machine does not seem unstable now, but might be weird on re-boot?)

And one thing I want to do, in addition to havng recovery capablities, is to scrub some old drives for passing along to the local "old parts" shop, and DBAN is part of the UB collection I've used on xp machines before.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 02:58 AM #11
All the drives that were mounted by XP now have the older version of NTFS. But they will be reconverted to the newer one as soon as they are mounted again in 7, minus the shadow copies and restore points.

It's a good idea to run chkdsk once in a while on all drives, anyway. Even when it comes back and says that it found no problems, it still sometimes has made minor repairs and rectified inconsistencies.

But never run chkdsk on a drive that you want to recover files from until you have recovered them, or at least tried. Because, as mentioned, chkdsk can make them unrecoverable even by TV's CSI if it starts on the wrong foot, so recovery should be first.

Chances are, however, that if the drive really has a problem, Windows would have already set the "dirty bit" and scheduled the drive to be checked. It doesn't do any damage to anything to mount the drives in XP unless you want the restore points or are trying to recover files. In that case, having the shadow copies makes the chances of getting your files back much higher because recovery software sees the shadow copies as just normal files, so it multiplies your chances of getting a file back, even if the original is corrupted or missing.
Member with 208 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 04:16 PM #12
Thanks. I looked at Reboot and got the Winbuilder, but don't see DBAN or an equivalent disk overwriter in the (long) list of optional components. Am I missing something? I don't recognize the stated functions of many of those tools. Hmm. I'll study this more on my own. And especially thanks for the tip on recovery. I don't need to recover anything now, but sometimes face that project and did not know that CHKDSK was a problem as you stated. (I haven't normally ever run that utility on a disk I'm trying to recover, but I can see the temptation if one is having a problem with a drive on it's way to failure.)
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 07:01 PM #13
Yes, it is a big temptation. Some people think chkdsk fixes all disk problems, but that is not what it was made for. Just the file system. Sometimes, it actually gets your access back, but it's not something to start out counting on.

format C: /x /p:1 will write 1's to the entire drive.

format C: /x /p:3 meets DOD standards for erasure, but takes a long time.

Last edited by Elvandil; 24-Apr-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Member with 208 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 09:22 PM #14
There are major holes in my autodidactic computer knowledge... so forgive the probably stupid question: Are those command line options that already exist in (dos) windows or commands to be used within "winbuilder"? I know I can zero drives with the manufacturers' software (but only after removing the hdd as the boot device), but the work I do requires higher security, not necessarily "DOD" (an ambiguous "standard," as I understand it), but at least two passes, preferably 1's and 0's me-thinks. My understanding is that data can be recovered even from up to 30-something passes, if somebody is determined enough, and equipped to do that. I do paralegal work and need to maintain confidentiality when getting rid of old drives, so I don't need "military" level security obviously, but there is a need to make recovery more trouble than it's worth, and I'm not sure a one-pass wipe would do it. Put short, there's more at stake than just my own personal/financial stuff, but way less than "national security."

Maybe... is doing a one-pass "0" operation twice more or less the same as 1's and 0's (or "zero/reverse")? I don't think so, but then I see those holes in my knowledge mentioned above.

Thanks again.
Member with 208 posts.

21-May-2012, 01:23 AM #15
Thread seems dead... gonna mark it solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!