Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Huge trouble with my hp pavillon tx1000

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 10:24 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Huge trouble with my hp pavillon tx1000
Hi and thanks for the attention.

So I have this hp pavillon tx1000 and I read somewhere that they manufactured them wrong so that they overheat and all the components get broken one by one. Aware of this I took it to a technician that changed the video card and installed a more powerful fan so that it would not overheat ergo not get broken anymore (the wifi adapter was the first part that failed in my case) and I didn't have any trouble since. Yet a while ago (after 4 or 5 months of continous usage) the wifi adapter stopped working (it did not detect any networks yet the light was blue not red, it got red the first time it broke) after a couple of weeks the laptop just freezed in the middle of a game and i had to reset it, this is where the problem starts:

The first time it asked me to start windows (7) in safe mode, another safe mode or normally. I chose normally yet it never started so I reset it again.

This time it asks me to repair startup or start normally, I choose repair start up, screen says "loading files" yet nothing happens again. I reset it again a couple of times with same results until...

This time it just says operating system not found.

At this point i thought the fan had not worked and all the parts just overheated and got burnt, so I stopped trying. YET 2 days ago I decide to start up my laptop again to try to recover my files with a boot disk and OH SURPRISE a different message appears.

This time it says something about a Checksum Error and asks to recover the system. I choose to recover the system and after a while of loading VOILA it starts up normally, time and date messed up, all my files there (nothing got lost) and even the wifi adapter was working again. I could recover my files yet today, my laptop freezed again and when I reset it I get the same message I got the first time it broke down, and after not working the second message I got, this time I decided to ask for help and didnt get to the "non operating system found" part. I have some computer knowledge and have solved problems looking around the internet before but this time I am totally clueless, I kind of discard the theory of the parts being physically damged cause the wifi adapter started working again and none of my files got corrupted or lost.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 10:38 PM #2
I can't imagine there not being a recall for something that overheated to such an extreme that it literally fried everything inside the computer.......yet somehow never felt hot enough to the touch to cause a lawsuit. Where was the "somewhere" you read this?

A quick search returns results that indicate this is a 5 year-old convertible laptop / early-gen tablet style laptop. I guarantee you've already spent more money trying to fix this thing than it's worth. What you describe now indicates simply that the hard drive failed.

I suggest not sticking any more money into this thing and instead put it toward a new laptop. You can buy decent, basic consumer laptops for as little as $400 - $500.
Member with 6 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 11:09 PM #3
Must have read it on some tech forums the first time it happened, and sure i think they got recalled but though I bought it in the US I then returned to Lima Peru where I live and thus the warranty does not apply. Thanks for the advice I really dont mean to spend anymore money repairing it yet I wanted to know what is wrong with it so I can sell it as is or , if not possible, for parts. Thank you

25-Apr-2012, 08:39 AM #4
I think you should be careful in making assumptions. I could find nothing about a full recall for all laptops of this model. Anyone can post whatever they want in a forum and make whatever claims they feel like making.

If all the parts are "fried", as you say they are, then what, exactly, would you be selling to someone else? It's irresponsible to sell a recalled product if that's what you believe it to be.

Sometimes you just a get a lemon, or stuff happens. This is an early prototype of a failed tablet convertible class of laptops. It didn't work out. Cut your losses, and buy something else.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,374 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Apr-2012, 12:28 PM #5
Advise us what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is so we can determine which tx1000 model laptop you have. The HP support site lists 17 models for that series.

------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 6 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 03:13 PM #6
s/n CNF7424D4Q
p/n GD617AV

Thanks for the attention, and yes that was the information I got when I searched through the internet when my latop started to malfunction. I didnīt mean to have the absolute truth, that is just the info I could find which (imo) got corroborated by my technician who could successfuly fix it at least for a while. Donīt worry about giving help to someone who might be trying to trick someone into buying a defective product. I plan to tell the buyer exactly what I know about the malfunctions of my machine, thatīs the reason Iīm looking for help for I thought it was the parts getting physically damaged again but due to the wifi adapter suddenly working again Iīm not 100% sure anymore.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,374 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Apr-2012, 04:03 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by panccio3004 View Post
p/n GD617AV
According to that product number, your laptop is a HP Pavilion tx1000z model - which has no recall alert or service alert for overheating issues.

It came with Windows Vista pre-installed, so you or someone else must've upgraded it to Windows 7.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 6 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 04:07 PM #8
Yes I got it upgraded, do you think that could be an issue? Now that you mention it, it froze and broke down again when the system auto updated itself after the first system recovery.

25-Apr-2012, 04:08 PM #9
Everything you've described with the recent problem indicates a hard drive problem.
Member with 6 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 04:11 PM #10
Thanks a lot for everything, I will have it checked.

25-Apr-2012, 04:36 PM #11
You can check the drive yourself with free utilities. If it needs to be replaced, you need to buy the drive, restore Windows, reinstall your programs, and copy back your data. Do you have a Windows 7 installation disk? Depending on what kind of drive it is, a replacement would probably be around $100.

If you have someone who does this work for you for free, that's good, but I wouldn't pay any more money to diagnose and/or fix problems with a 5+ year-old laptop that has been nothing but problems.
Member with 6 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 05:41 PM #12
Yep I do have a friend who helps me with this stuff, I do not want to spend anymore money either so I will ask him to check this and I will post back.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
checksum error, laptop, no operating system found, tx1000

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!