Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

If it is a rootkit, can I copy files to rescue them without infecting the new drive?

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

29-Apr-2012, 10:15 AM #1
If it is a rootkit, can I copy files to rescue them without infecting the new drive?
Hello, I'm not sure what the problem is with my Windows 7 laptop. I cannot copy large files,
even to the same partition, and I've been getting blue screens for the first time in 2 years of use.
I've tried several backups with all kinds of software and they fail every time,
saying I have an I/O error. I believe I have a memory problem, but Memtest turns up nothing.
I have 4 gigs of RAM, and the computer has always been *very* fast in every way.

If I remove my laptop hard drive and use a USB cable to copy files manually, as a way of
saving my work, will the computer I am copying to get the malware/rootkit/dunno automatically?

Most grateful for your help.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,530 posts.

29-Apr-2012, 07:41 PM #2
If you just copy your documents and photos, there is little risk in copying over the rootkit. Know that a rootkit's purpose is to hide the hacker's files and programs from you. Like if the rootkit was built to hide files names that begin with "aa". Then files like "aabackdoor", "aaremote_connect" etc will not be seen by you in Windows Explorer.

Memtest needs to be run overnight; just running it for 1 hr will usually turn up nothing.

Also you might want to check your hard drive, since programs are reporting I/O errors. ( Input/Output)
Member with 2 posts.

29-Apr-2012, 09:46 PM #3
I ran Memtest as long as I thought I could without damaging the machine.
My laptop got *very* hot during the process -- the fan was always on and it was
blowing hot, hot exhaust -- the laptop was so hot I had to raise it off the table.

Question: I removed my laptop hard drive and now have it hooked up to my desktop
machine via a SATA dock using a USB connection. Now that the drive is no longer
being used as the operating system, can I do some kind of sector-by-sector scan of
the laptop disk to check for ... dunno. Whatever?

Extremely grateful for your help.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Apr-2012, 05:09 AM #4
root kit remover
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

use this tool called tdskiller available on the above link to remove the root kit from ur computer,
also if u can tell what message u get when u get the blue screen i can help further.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
copy errors, large files, malware, rootkit, slow file copy

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!