Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Installing IE9

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-May-2012, 05:00 PM #1
Question Solved: Installing IE9
I had IE9 on my laptop (Windows 7) but I didn't use it (I use Google Chrome) and deleted it using Add/Remove Programs.

Recently I wanted to install it, so I downloaded the installation file, but when trying to install it, I got the message that installation won't complete because it is already on the computer. It is not listed in the programs, and a search comes up with only the installation file which I had just downloaded. What is going on?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,337 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-May-2012, 06:11 PM #2
Go to Control Panel, then Programs and Features.
Then on the left side of the pane, select "Turn Windows Features on or off".
Let it load as it may be VERY slow.

Then make sure that IE 9 is checked and then OK yourself out.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-May-2012, 08:31 PM #3
You can't uninstall Internet Explorer. You must have rolled it back to version 8. Rolling back IE is risky, and it looks like it bit you.

Post the exact and complete error message. You may need to repair Windows or reinstall the service pack.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 1,647 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-May-2012, 01:11 AM #4
You can uninstall IE9 through the Control panel - Programs and features - "View installed updates". Scroll down, almost to the bottom, and right click the IE9 update - uninstall. But, doing this, leaves only IE 8 in the path suggested by DaveA. But, It is not stated how rondebmar uninstalled IE9. If he did not follow the path I have outlined, I would suggest, first, that he does so to make sure it is properly uninstalled. And/or - go to windows updates and check for new updates. It will come up with IE9. Accept it and you may be back in business. But, as Doublehelix points out, you can runn into difficulties, and my suggestion may leave you with IE8 on the desktop. But it has worked several times for me.

Last edited by davehc; 06-May-2012 at 01:39 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!