Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

help with installing OS win 7 ultimate

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

10-May-2012, 11:17 AM #1
help with installing OS win 7 ultimate
Hi I just bought a new laptop. It has one hard drive (C/)with 600gb and I partitioned it. However Im not sure if i did this correctly. I had to provide a file path etc and the only place to save the partition (E/)was on the primary C drive itself. (So now theres a file on the C drive called "E" with its own amount of memory).
I made the new partion into a primary drive and it shows up as such on "my computer". The current OS is windows 7 home premium but now I want to install windows 7 ultimate. I realise that Ive done things kinda back to front - my question is: if i install the new win 7 ultimate OS, will the partition remain as it is or will it be ereased because its located on the C drive?

Any ideas, advice is welcome. Thanks in advance,

Spriteo0o
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,627 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-May-2012, 11:26 AM #2
During the installation process, the OS will be installed on whatever partition you choose.

Though, why would you want these two OS's installed simultaneously?

Why not just format both partitions and install the new OS cleanly?
Member with 3 posts.

10-May-2012, 11:38 AM #3
Maybe I didnt explain very well. I dont want two simultaneous OS's, just the win7 ultimate. Can you tell me what I have to do to format the partitions? Kinda new at this but once I learn it, I dont forget it
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,627 posts.

10-May-2012, 12:02 PM #4
THIS guide should be of some help.

The step below is where you will be doing most of the work:

Click "Format" to format the partitions currently on your drive.

Then select a partition and click "Extend" to "merge" the two partitions together to leave you with a single partition.

Then proceed with the installation.
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

10-May-2012, 05:44 PM #5
Well if it is a brand new laptop you got nothing to lose. I would just boot from your Windows 7 Ultimate media and do a clean install. Just wipe all the partitions out and create a new one.

But it would have been easier if you would have bought the Anytime upgrade.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,847 posts.

10-May-2012, 07:07 PM #6
Just to chime in here... if you are not using a windows 7 CD that was provided by your laptop's manufacturer, then you may run into driver issues. Make sure you have them first before attempting to do the install.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-May-2012, 01:35 PM #7
Those two things are indeed true.
Member with 3 posts.

12-May-2012, 07:07 AM #8
Indeed there were a few driver issues and my bluetooth dissappeared completely along with a couple of the other bells and whistles that came pre installed. so i ended up doing a system restore and everything is back the way it was. It remained partitioned which was handy.
Thanks for all the advice and help!
best regards, spriteo0o
Computer Specs
Member with 9,627 posts.

12-May-2012, 04:12 PM #9
You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top and bottom of the page.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

13-May-2012, 07:49 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriteo0o View Post
Indeed there were a few driver issues and my bluetooth dissappeared completely along with a couple of the other bells and whistles that came pre installed. so i ended up doing a system restore and everything is back the way it was. It remained partitioned which was handy.
Thanks for all the advice and help!
best regards, spriteo0o
If you still want to upgrade to Ultimate (I'm assuming by system restore you mean the factory recovery; if that is not the case, ignore all this), you can select Anytime Upgrade, and enter the Product Key from your Ultimate DVD, and Windows will take care of the rest. All the Ultimate files are already in your Windows folder, just dormant. The Anytime Upgrade will enabe the Ultimate files necessary, and disable any conflicting Home Premium files, and you'll have Ultimate with hardly any effort on your part.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!