Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

TuneUp Utilities can not be uninstalled

(!)

View Poll Results: Have you been able to delete TuneUp Utilities from your computer?
YES 2 100.00%
NO 0 0%
MAYBE 0 0%
I DON'T KNOW 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-May-2012, 06:01 PM #1
Question TuneUp Utilities can not be uninstalled
Dear Tech Support Guys and Trusted Advisers,
I have been trying to remove the (trial version) of TuneUp Utilities 2012 from my computer for over 3 weeks.
My computer was hesitating and slow to respond to mouse clicks.
So, I took a look at this program that cleans up old files, but, decided not to buy it.
Mostly out of fear that this was another attempt to create a problem and charging a fee to fix it.
The TuneUp Utilities file has been on my computer ever since.

I have already uninstalled the program from my Control Panel and I tried Revo Uninstaller Pro (free version).
It removed itself from Revo but not from my Program Data files.
Another form of web deception where you enter the problem name to a list
and they remove it from that list you just created.
I can move it around but not into the recycle bin. What is this thing?
How can I not have permission to do what I want on my own computer? XP would never do that!
Please help me remove TuneUp Utilities 2012 from my computer.
I am using Win 7 Pro w/XP mode, SP1, 64bit, i7, IE9.

Errors: “You need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes.”
You need permission to do anything with this file. In fact, I have been using Win 7 without permission ever since
I upgraded to it one year ago. My computer still hesitates and is still slow to respond to mouse clicks.
The TuneUp Utilities Company is very cooperative though. If you ask the company (aka TuneUpMedia) for help
they will eventually sell you another download that will not remove it either. They are the problem and the solution.
After many emails they will do anything but that. I can uninstall it from my control panel but not from here:
C:\ProgramData\TuneUp Software\TuneUp Software\TuneUp Utilities 2012\TTUSvclrt.tt or TTUSvc.tt

I am trying not to buy another software removal program, but, I have trusted you GUYs ever since you
helped me reinstall my operating system for the first time, over 6 years ago. If you will smarten me up, and fix this,
I will show my gratitude for your help,
ForMatt

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8103 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 939342 MB, Free - 841650 MB; E: Total - 1907695 MB, Free - 1491363 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., CG8350
Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 8,185 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-May-2012, 07:22 PM #2
Quote:
The TuneUp Utilities file has been on my computer ever since.
It's programs like this that can cause issues like these (and much worse).

Anything that "cleans your registry" should be avoided, it does absolutely nothing to clean or speed up your computer.

Quote:
From Elvandil:
There is no reason to ever clean the registry. It doesn't make the system faster and only risks damage. It's like Russian Roulette with no prize for not losing.
Search for "reg cleaners" or "registry cleaners" in the forum and see what you find. Better yet, do a web search for "I used a registry cleaner".
Relying on an automated process to delete things from such a fragile place as the registry isn't the best idea. We get lots of redo's on systems because people, as soon as we leave, install ALL SORTS of registry cleaners and do so much damage that they are back in the shop.
Windows uses a binary search when looking up keys, which means that even to look up a key in 4.2 billion keys it needs to look at maximally 32 keys. It isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference if there are a half-million obsolete keys present.
http://www.chaoszone.org/index.php?s=registry+cleaners
Then, there are the registry repair programs. Those people should be shot. If you look at the proposed "fixes" in some piece of junk like WinDoctor, you will find that over 90% of the "fixes" the program plans to make are wrong. They are introducing new errors into the registry which these things will now say are "correct". If it finds a missing Help file, for example, it will create a new link to the next Help file it finds, not the one that is missing and not the correct Help file for the application that is missing one. Only a human would notice the difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you can't get the program removed with Programs and Features or Revo Uninstaller, try using Unlocker to delete the folder/files manually.

Ordinarily I would never suggest this, but if nothing else is working, there isn't much left to do.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
administrator, permission denied, tuneup utilities, uninstall not possible, window 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!