Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Frequent BSODs, Hangs, and Freezes - Please Help!

(!)

Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-May-2012, 02:07 PM #1
Unhappy Frequent BSODs, Hangs, and Freezes - Please Help!
I recently did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 (SP1) on my system after secure erasing the SSDs and reformatting my other HDDs.

I did this because I was getting random BSODs and hangs where the outer two monitors would go black and the center monitor became blurry and the entire system just locked up; I had to hard reboot to 'reset' it.

After the fresh install of the OS, new drivers, and all the updates, the problem has returned. So far I've gotten about 3 BSODs and about 5 freezes/lock ups.

The BCC were 0x116 and 0x7e.

I tested my GPUs with several benchmarks and games and they all passed without issue (I have four EVGA GTX-580 Classified 3GB in 4-Way SLI). I'm running the 296.10 WHQL drivers from NVIDIA.

I've done the SFC /SCANNOW, CHKDSK, and also run Malwarebytes and full system scan and there were no errors or integrity violations.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is. Is it something to do with the Power Management options? I have it on "High Performance" and disabled "Wake Timers".

Please help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip dmp.zip (392.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Baasha; 20-May-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Member with 11,752 posts.

20-May-2012, 02:16 PM #2
take a look and see if any minidumps have been created

you will find them here They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Copy the last 3 to another location put them in a folder and compress the folder zip or Rar and Go Advanced in your post then Manage Attachments and post them

Note Do not try to compress them until you have copied them to somewhere else.
Member with 11 posts.

20-May-2012, 02:21 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabite View Post
take a look and see if any minidumps have been created

you will find them here They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Copy the last 3 to another location put them in a folder and compress the folder zip or Rar and Go Advanced in your post then Manage Attachments and post them

Note Do not try to compress them until you have copied them to somewhere else.
I tried to attach the full "report" but it exceeds the size limit of 500KB as a ZIP folder.

So I've attached the .dmp and one txt file from the "JCGRIFF" report that was generated.

There are no dump files in that C:\WINDOWS\Minidump folder.

I think my system "cleaned" it out when I rebooted it last night.
Member with 11 posts.

20-May-2012, 10:55 PM #4
*Please! Someone, HELP!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
21-May-2012, 12:21 AM #5
"Full erase" of an SSD? You aren't trying to kill them early deliberately, are you? It's not even a good idea on a mechanical drive, but really bad idea for an SSD.

It would have been wise to reinstall things slowly, one at a time, to try to determine what was causing the problem.

Your dump shows a problem with nvlddmkm.sys, an Nvidia module.

Last edited by Elvandil; 21-May-2012 at 12:34 AM..
Member with 11 posts.

21-May-2012, 03:25 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
"Full erase" of an SSD? You aren't trying to kill them early deliberately, are you? It's not even a good idea on a mechanical drive, but really bad idea for an SSD.

It would have been wise to reinstall things slowly, one at a time, to try to determine what was causing the problem.

Your dump shows a problem with nvlddmkm.sys, an Nvidia module.
Hi,

Well, I did the Secure Erase of the SSDs as that was what was suggested by Corsair themselves before a reformat/fresh install of the OS. I used a program called Parted Magic and once the drives were "secure erased", I went ahead and installed the OS.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem the dump shows? Since it's an NVIDIA module, should I go ahead and uninstall the driver and reinstall it? What is the best/safest procedure to do this? I usually uninstall the driver from the Control Panel and then run Driver Sweeper and CCleaner to clear out any remaining registry entries for the driver. Only then do I "install" new GPU drivers.
Member with 11 posts.

21-May-2012, 01:38 PM #7
*bump

I ran MemTest for 7 passes and it had ZERO errors.

What I find strange since yesterday is that after I get to the log-on screen (to enter my password), once I enter my password, it takes about 30 seconds to get to desktop and when it does, the screens are completely black (the mouse moves is active though). After about 10 seconds of it being black, the desktop loads properly.

I uninstalled the graphics drivers and booted in Safe Mode and it STILL does that. I also tried doing a Clean Boot (disabled all startup items and non-Microsoft services) but that doesn't fix the issue either; it still takes a LONG time for the desktop to load.

Could it be a virus infection? I can't figure out what's going on.

PLEASE HELP!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bsod, freezes, hangs, win7 64

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!