Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Recording "what you hear"

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-May-2012, 06:44 AM #1
Solved: Recording "what you hear"
Using W7 and unlike XP it does not provide an option/function to directly record sound playing on PC (i.e what u hear). Is there a way to reinstate this function in W7. Some answers on google talk about enabling "stereo mixer" device in sound section. I do not have that option. Others suggest downloading latest driver for onboard sound card. I have an ASUS P5KPL/1600 motherboard which according to manual has a CODEC sound card. In "sound devices" default sound is showing as AK5371. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

29-May-2012, 06:48 AM #2
have you tried sound recorder
start>progams>accessories>sound recorder
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

29-May-2012, 07:32 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
Using W7 and unlike XP it does not provide an option/function to directly record sound playing on PC (i.e what u hear). Is there a way to reinstate this function in W7. Some answers on google talk about enabling "stereo mixer" device in sound section. I do not have that option. Others suggest downloading latest driver for onboard sound card. I have an ASUS P5KPL/1600 motherboard which according to manual has a CODEC sound card. In "sound devices" default sound is showing as AK5371. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
HI,
In your sound card you can make the default device the recording section of the sound card. To access your sound card just type in sound in the search bar over after clicking start and it should pop up.

it is common on Windows 7 and Vista that not all recording inputs are automatically enabled in the Recording tab. This means they are invisible in that tab, and also invisible to recording applications like Audacity. So you need to make them visible, thus:
Right-click anywhere inside the Recording tab and choose "Show disabled devices" then right-click again and check "Show Disconnected Devices"
Right-click specifically over the input device you want to record with (in this case "Stereo Mix" or whatever alternative you have), and if visible, choose "Enable"
You should see the internal sound card pop up.
Make it your default and then try the built in sound recorder to record you computers output.
Let me know if this works.
Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

29-May-2012, 07:47 AM #4
I do not have a "stereo mix" option. All that comes up are
*Mic 2 - AK5371 (this is the default device).
* Mic (High Definition Audio Device Ready)
* Mic (HDA Audio device currently unavailable) and,
* Line In (HDA Audio device currently unavailable)
I have been told that I need to have "stereo mix" option but it is not there.

Rob
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

29-May-2012, 07:57 AM #5
Did you right click anywhere in the gray area and see that "show disabled devices"?
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

29-May-2012, 07:58 AM #6
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rking-properly
You may also refer the Manufacturer’s website and download the latest Sound card drivers for Windows 7.
mhd1360 mhd1360 is offline mhd1360 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

29-May-2012, 09:21 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
I do not have a "stereo mix" option. All that comes up are
*Mic 2 - AK5371 (this is the default device).
* Mic (High Definition Audio Device Ready)
* Mic (HDA Audio device currently unavailable) and,
* Line In (HDA Audio device currently unavailable)
I have been told that I need to have "stereo mix" option but it is not there.

Rob
I had the same problem too with my new laptop Sony , It has not anything called "StereoMix" while my previous had.I tried to upgrade the device driver, install extra software, etc but got no answer.
Then I decided to solve it with hardware solution.
I just bought a jack called "Stereo jack joiner" or something like that.(I attached the photo) and a simple wire with both "Stereo" jacks on it.(Photo Attached).
Then attached the Joiner to "Headphone output" of my laptop and also attached the wire on one of it's outputs and joined the other head of the wire to "Mic Input" of my laptop.Finally attached the speaker/headphone to the remain output of the "Joiner" and that's it.
Now you can record normally what you hear.
That was the final way I reached at.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Recording "what you hear"-device-attached.jpg   Solved: Recording "what you hear"-mic-speaker-jacks.jpg   Solved: Recording "what you hear"-stereo-jack-joiner.jpg   Solved: Recording "what you hear"-wire-stereo-jacks.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

29-May-2012, 08:14 PM #8
Yes did what was suggested and all the devices shown were what I mentioned in previous reply. No options to enable any devices that would allow recording of what you hear. Do I need to download something?

Rob
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

30-May-2012, 03:12 AM #9
If you do this, no any extra options is need, when you are hearing some things for example around the net with real player all you need is just to click on "REC" button, you can record what you hear.Or simply start "SoundRecorder" and click on "Record". What is comes out from your speaker will be recorded .
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

30-May-2012, 04:43 AM #10
I tried this and it did not work. It seems to have something to do with not having the option on the onboard soundcard, Tried installing latest driver, however, when you go to install latest driver software windows says driver is up todate. I am at my wits end, do I need to uninstall driver then reinstall latest software. I am told that microsoft removed the recording option from W7 and that you need to reinstall the option on sound card. As far as I can determine, VIA HD is the onboard sound.

Rob
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

30-May-2012, 04:51 AM #11
Did you attach all parts the same as I told in post #7 ?
If so, there is no need to update any software or driver.
This solution will direct "output sound" to "input microphone" and then when you hear some music from your "output" definitely your "input Mic" could record it.
I can prepare you a short clip how it works from start to end if you want.
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

30-May-2012, 06:00 AM #12
Plugged adaptor jack into headphones socket then one end of lead into jack and other into mic socket. Plugged headphones in other socket on jack. Tried recording through "soundrecorder" and another recording programme. No sound went through to either programme. A short clip would be helpful just to confirm I had it right. Any other suggestions?

Rob
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

30-May-2012, 07:11 AM #13
That's right, Can you record your voice directly from external Mic? (I want to ensure your mic socket and your windows sound recorder configuration is correct)
Computer Specs
Member with 21 posts.

30-May-2012, 08:49 AM #14
No tested several times but not coming through.

Rob
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

30-May-2012, 11:24 AM #15
So, you have to solve your first problem that is normal record from mic and then investigate to "Stereo Mix".
Go to Device Manager and check if there were any unknown device,I think W7 can not recognize your Microphone Jack unlike XP.
Try to find if it's true or not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!