Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows running very slow! Please help

(!)

Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2012, 06:12 PM #16
Also what appeared weird is the fact that my windows bar has gone to a win98 style?
NOTE: i used to have a custom theme which made everything look like mac os and i had a start button editor but now it has all gone old stlye. Ill give you a snapshot
http://screencast.com/t/0z4OmMus
Also as you can see in the corner i have a boot time recorder
(it normally takes about 1 min 20 - 2 min 30 but now it is taking longer and sometimes ive seen over 20 minutes!
Trusted Advisor with 15,440 posts.

30-May-2012, 06:17 PM #17
Apart from running Malwarebytes and Superantispyware - what changes have you made?
Did you run Wise Cleaner?
Member with 15 posts.

30-May-2012, 06:25 PM #18
i did memory diagnostic and it reported no errors but i was kind of confused on the other two? for drivers one i only had options to disable update and properties?In the link it just told me up to their and
for the system file checker when it got to the search "sfcdetails.txt" in "program and files" i am unsure where "program and files"? i am wondering if that refers to "program files" or just start and search ( http://screencast.com/t/FjjfjkwMoqr )

30-May-2012, 06:37 PM #19
In Device Manager - you look for errors against all entries.
They show up as Red - Yellow exclamation marks.
What did you do there?

According to the link posted.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
System file checker.
You click Start > All programs > accessdories > right click Command Prompt.
Run as Administrator.
Type
sfc /scannow
Member with 15 posts.

30-May-2012, 07:02 PM #20
in device manager this is what i get? http://screencast.com/t/vBqL99gJ
i dont see any explamations marks

As for scannow i managed that part it was just the "To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:" that i was unsure
?
i havent done anything with wisecleaner

Also could i ask if you know why it has changed my windows apearance

30-May-2012, 07:20 PM #21
Did system file checker finish its scan?
You made no changes while in Device Manager?

'i used to have a custom theme which made everything look like mac os '
The custom theme for Mac - must have been removed by System File Checker.
It did not recognize the files and removed them.

You will have to re-install the theme.
Member with 15 posts.

31-May-2012, 11:56 AM #22
i think the system file checker did finish
No i did not make any changes in device manager? i never found any exclamation marks of any colour? :L
Yea that fine about the theme just wanted to make sure it wasnt a trojan or anything.

But..
the main part is when i came to turn it on early this morning it recommended to do a autamatic startup repair and left it for a fair while then came back to see an error report with the send or dont send. I opened up the more details and it read:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200145
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 3
Problem Signature 07: CorruptRegistry
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy.....
X:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflos.txt

By this point i had to go so shut it down and it wasnt untill i got home that i tried to start it up. Firstly it was going very slowly. Took about 20 minutes then it loaded the select user screen so i clicked my account and waited...

I then got a completely black screen (apart from the mouse pointer) and a few seconds later this error appeared:

[ dwm.exe - System Error ] [x]

This program cant start because UxTheme.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstall the program to fix this problem

[ OK }

So when i press ok it just reappears a fraction of a second later in a continual loop?

31-May-2012, 12:16 PM #23
The custom theme making Win 7 look like a Mac Operating System, may be the cause.
System File checker you ran - did not recognize it, removed it along with UxTheme.dll.
That is a guess!

A start up repair may be your only option for now.
http://www.winhelp.us/index.php/wind...repaircomputer

UxTheme.dll is missing .
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...sing-error.htm
Member with 15 posts.

31-May-2012, 04:35 PM #24
hello,
whenever i try switch my computer on it recommends startup repair but if i choose it it scans for 30mins or so then tells me that startup repair cannot repair your computer?
if i tell it to startup up normally without startup repair i get the blue screen of death?

because this is an acer laptop it has "acer ereckovery" (i pres f12 and something when in bios) which can either "reset computer to facetory default"(im not sure if it actually does seen as i have 2 partitions because it used to be dual booted but this only restores the main partition) and the other option is to restore windows but leave personal files.
So i can do that to get it back to normal but the main problem is that this is about the 4rth time ive had to reset my pc because or practically ,if not,the same problem where it get really slow/corrupted? how can i prevent it happening again?
would it help if i installed windows 8 beta dual booted this time to see if it is a problem with the whole hardrive and if it happens on it too?

31-May-2012, 05:13 PM #25
Do you have the original install Cd?
You may have to try a recovery again and see if it will boot to factory settings - but you may lose files and data.
I would not go the Win 8 beta route.

You could check the hard drive by using a Linux live Cd.
How to use Linux live Cd to backup files from a dead Pc
Member with 15 posts.

31-May-2012, 05:37 PM #26
no acer no longer give out install Cd's with their laptops but insteda just use the "OEM" partition on the hardrive that allows you to "practically" reinstall. The worry is that i have done a full reinstall on the acer erockovery/OEM and it has happened again and again? It doesnt happen immediatly after reset but just randomly gets corupted suddenly when i boot? I have seen no pattern or any software that i have installed on all the times it done this? Would it help if i reset it to factory default, format the old partition that "was" used for when i had it dual booted with win8 beta , and then factory defauly windows 7 again (incase anything got from old win8 partition)?

When i suggested the hardrive it isnt that i think it has gone wrong suddenly and might stay like this it is just that it seems to always get corrupted , what this is caused by is the mystery!

31-May-2012, 05:48 PM #27
Did the problems happen when, since you dual booted Win 8?
Your only option seems to be a factory restore and if you can, delete the Win 8 partition.

Or use something like this.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

Or get some restore Cd's from Acer - if they provide them.
Member with 15 posts.

31-May-2012, 06:39 PM #28
erm... well i cant fully rememember if it was before then but i dont think its worked sinse so that might be the problem?
Can i just reformat the win8 partition (D and expand the win 7 (C with the unalocated space? I know it can be very confusing trying to get the formats and aint as simple as saying move 10gb from C: to D: but if i format all of D: will it loose all problem about trying to add it onto the C:? (their all on the one hardrive).

I suppose i could ask acer but i actually bought the laptop refurbished from a seperate comapany and its warranty is out. Ive asked them for things before and its either like :
I think i should have a look at it over at acer send it in with an inicial 200 call in fee and an extra 1000 if we make any changes :P lol
or their like well need to charge you 80 for a installation disk :O
maybe abit exagerated but im sure you get the idea. They just want the most money off you possible
And to be honest im wondering in making my own custom made pc at christmas or next summer as this laptop is far from ideal for gaming but mainly the intensive graphics design that i mainly use it for now ,my hobby).
Anyway i think ill try factory reset C: drive and then try delete D: and to make sure ill reset C: again so theres no chance of anything on D: getting into the C: drive before i reformat all of D:?

31-May-2012, 06:45 PM #29
Unless you can get a recovery Cd - I would not mess around with the partitions, you could lose All.
Get C: up and running and then maybe delete D:
There is little chance of D: leaking onto C: and vise versa.
Member with 15 posts.

01-Jun-2012, 12:27 PM #30
yea sure thats what ill do!
I wouldnt expect D: leaking onto C: but sullong as i dont use software installed on that partition (i have been using some software that was installed on D: (not all software works accross partition but many do) it should be OK although i will see how easy it seems to be to delete D: safely just to make sure (im fed up of spending hours installing all my software and getting everything set up and loosing it all)
Thanks again for the help mate!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
corrupt, crashing, freezing computer, slow, virus

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!