Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer failures

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jun-2012, 07:12 AM #1
Computer failures
I have a desktop Compaq windows 7, and the graphics card got busted. it would turn on fine and everything, but the graphics card was busted so my screen would just be black. I decided to get a new one, so i went to the store to buy another one. one the way to the graphics card area, i bought a 4gyg ram stick so i can have more ram. when i got home, i put in the ram stick (PC3) and then, replaced the graphics card. i tried to turn it on, and it had 1 short beep, and 1 long beep. this was endless that 1 short beep and 1 long beep kept repeating itself. i was like Whats going on here? so i took out the new graphics card and put in a new one. when i did so, the beeping continued. i realized ok, its not the graphics card. so then, i thought it might be the ram stick. i plugged out the new one and kept the old on in to see if that would work. still beeps. and then i took that one out and put in the new ram stick. now, it wont turn on whatsoever. i put in the old one again, and put then in different slots of the ram stick slots, (there are 2 slots) and i kept switching them around ect. and my computer continues not to turn on. Please help fix my computer on the 1 short beep and 1 long beep, and also where my computer no longer turns on. and also, when it was beeping the screen would just be black too. so there was no error message.
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2012, 08:07 AM #2
Do you know what bios you have (AMI, AWARD, PHOENIX, IBM, etc.)? Each one has its own set of beep codes. The only one I find with one short and one long beep is under IBM and means motherboard failure. If it's a motherboard failure, that would explain why it's not starting anymore. Never change more than one part of a computer before trying each one. You should have installed the video card first and got the computer up and running. Did you check to see what ram you have in the computer before buying the new stick? You can't mix and match. After getting the computer to run with the new video card, you should have shut it down, removed the power cord, pushed in the power button for ten seconds to release the power stored in the capacitors, removed the old ram and put the new ram in the same slot. That's providing the new ram was correct for your machine.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jun-2012, 08:55 AM #3
uhh
So how do i fix it? lol how do i fix the motherboard? i dont know much about computer parts, so i guess i just didnt know what i was doing. the problem about uninstalling the previous video card, and the new video card and stuff and also the ram stick is because my graphics card was broken so nothing would appear on the screen. But can you please tell me how to fix my motherboard issue?
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2012, 09:56 AM #4
Replacement is the only way for the mother board. First put the original ram back in the slot it was in and put in the new video card. See if the machine starts up. If it does are there any beeps? If it starts up install the drivers for the new video card. If it does not start up I would then guess the motherboard is dead and need of replacement.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
beeping, compaq, computer, failure, graphics card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!