Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New Computer, Used HDD, and Win7 Upgrade

(!)

cwwphotos cwwphotos is offline cwwphotos has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jun-2012, 07:28 AM #1
Question Solved: New Computer, Used HDD, and Win7 Upgrade
Hello all,

I am about to build my second custom PC (you can see why, here) and am almost entirely prepared for the update in hardware, but I have a question about my Windows installation.

Originally, this current PC build used Windows Vista + a Windows 7 Upgrade to get me to the current Windows 7 that I am using right now. I intended to reuse this hard drive, but wipe it clean with a clean-install of Vista+7 Upgrade. I am wondering how best to manage this transition, because I envision my new hardware all built and pieced together, ready to go, and when I boot it up with my old hard drive intending to do a clean install of Vista, all the files and drivers may get in the way and wreak havoc on my clean install/new hardware.

I intend to put the new hardware together tonight, and figure I need to decide what to do with my HDD by the end of that process.

Here are my questions:
  1. How do I maneuver this current Windows 7--clean install back to Vista--then upgrade to Windows 7 installation the best way possible for a new motherboard/CPU/RAM hardware upgrade? The only thing I've kept to reuse is my HDD/DVD-R/Tower.
  2. Do I format the reused HDD right before shutting down this old build for the last time, and before building the new system and booting it for the first time with Vista and later Win7 upgrade? How should I format it?
  3. Can I plug in my reused HDD (despite it having Win 7 and drivers of old components on it) with all of the new components and boot with a VIsta CD for a clean install anyway? It'll wipe it clean in the process, correct?
  4. Should I get a smaller, brand new HDD for the clean OS installation, and format the old HDD later?
  5. Should I just throw another $200 at a full version of Windows 7 and call it a day? I'd really rather not as this new hardware upgrade was an unexpected expense this summer.
  6. Any options I may have missed?

Thank you very much for your help! I'd like to do this as cheap as possible as the new hardware components were an unexpected expense. Please let me know what you can ASAP so I am best prepared for the upgrade tonight.

Here's my new build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W
Cooler: CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler
MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express Video Card
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Power Supply
Case (re-used): Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis
HDD (re-used): SAMSUNG 1TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
DVD-R (re-used): LG DVD Burner

Last edited by cwwphotos; 08-Jun-2012 at 07:36 AM..
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 07:58 AM #2
Personally I would go to a new ssd hd. I got two of this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820226236. My new build takes under 20 seconds from the post beep to actually doing my email. This ssd comes with a tray to hold the hard drive in a 3.5 bay.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,446 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 12:05 PM #3
If your Vista is OEM it can only be used on the old hardware--Microsoft counts a new motherboard as a new computer. Buy new Windows 7 (and use it to partition/format/install).

If the Vista is retail partition/format and install it using your Vista installation DVD, activate it (believe that takes a call to Microsoft) and then upgrade to Windows 7.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 03:43 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel8again View Post
Personally I would go to a new ssd hd. I got two of this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820226236. My new build takes under 20 seconds from the post beep to actually doing my email. This ssd comes with a tray to hold the hard drive in a 3.5 bay.
Thanks mel, this will probably come later, but may still be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
If your Vista is OEM it can only be used on the old hardware--Microsoft counts a new motherboard as a new computer. Buy new Windows 7 (and use it to partition/format/install).

If the Vista is retail partition/format and install it using your Vista installation DVD, activate it (believe that takes a call to Microsoft) and then upgrade to Windows 7.
My Vista CD is from a "Company store" so the faded sticker says, so I assume that's not exactly OEM. I also spoke with a guy at Best Buy in the Geek Squad (when considering a Full Version of Win7) and he told me it should require a call to MS (as you said it might). So I didn't buy the full version yet. Microsoft Tech Support (courtesy of Mumbai) was no help. They didn't even understand my issue when I called, and promptly booted me off with a "Thank you for calling Microsoft Support!" before I was even done getting answers.

I am going to try the build and Vista/7 Upgrade tonight because it's the cheapest fix, and the only one available in my house. If i have to get a Full Version of 7 or a new HDD/SSD that'll come later, when I have to. Thanks for the help, I hope to be back online tomorrow!

Last edited by cwwphotos; 08-Jun-2012 at 03:49 PM..
cwwphotos cwwphotos is offline cwwphotos has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 06:57 PM #5
It worked!

My 'new' PC is up and running, Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade was clean-installed onto a formatted hard drive, and in an hour I had all my drivers installed! This has been the quickest clean install yet, and now I just need to wait on Steam to download my games faster.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions! Cannot wait to get into some games on this machine.
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

10-Jun-2012, 09:45 AM #6
Glad to see it worked
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
clean install, hard drive configuration, upgrade, windows 7 64-bit, windows vista 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!