Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Random BSODs driving me insane!(long)

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jun-2012, 01:27 AM #1
Angry Random BSODs driving me insane!(long)
~System~

Alienware Aurora ALX bought in 2010

Liquid Cooling

3GB Triple Channel 1333MHz DDR3 - upped this to 12GB way before problems, no issues

Dual ATI Radeon HD 5670 crossfire

500GB Sata II 3GB/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD - added another after trying to fix issues

Window 7 Home Premium, 64bit

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache)

Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

875W PSU

Motherboard: http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-alienw...869mms759.aspx

=================================

Computer has been giving me constant BSODs for months now! "Memory_Management" and "Bad_Pool_Header" are the normal errors, along with the rare "System_Service_Exception" and "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area". And windows "Action Center" gives me a system maintenance note thing, but telling it to run does nothing but turn into a disk volume error note. I've tried virus/spyware checks, mem tests, drive tests, and everything else I could think of, even chkdsk /r /f and sfc scannow, and a few total reformats. None of which found any issues or solved any problems. Yes, I clean the dust out of it regularly, don't let the fans spin wild, and check connections/wires when I'm done.

Completely random with the errors. Doesn't matter if it's sitting idle, watching videos, playing a game, or just surfing the web... or trying to get into dxdiag (which it wouldn't even do for a while). Cannot force a duplicate error running any specific thing. Speaking of games, It'll run WoW, CoD, and others no problem, but the new Tera game? It completely shuts down not even 5 minutes in. Watched heat gauges and all temps were steady. Laptop with same specs runs it fine *shrugs*.

Friends said it might be my HD, so I bought a new one. Installed it bare (only basic installs; windows, updates, etc), same issues, BSODs, completely bare out of the box it did this too. Put the old one back in with the new since that wasn't the problem. Then was told since that didn't work it was probably my motherboard, and in that case it was shop time (I know nothing when it comes to MBs >.<)!

Took it to a shop, guy had it just over a week and couldn't find any problems either. He didn't have parts so he could do the whole swapping in and out mess, and he wasn't very inclined to get them, thinking if he did that might not fix it anyways. His guess was that it was the motherboard, the video cards themselves, or the vid cards being crossfired together (he didn't like it o.0). Or, that it was "some intermittent problem that isn't always being picked up" *shrugs*. He suggested trying another shop better equipped. Shop #2 wouldn't even look at it. And shop #3's advice, without looking at it, was... "Sounds like the motherboard. It will cost more than it's worth to fix. Best bet is to find someplace to trade it in and buy a new one..." I know everyone is all "Ewww, Alienware!" anymore, but seriously?! This thing never gave me any problems no matter what I tried to run or play before this started, I'm not ready to give up on it yet!

Sorry this is a book and probably full of irrelevant dribble, but trying not to forget anything and I want to know wtf is wrong with this thing. Since I can't get any shops in my area to even LOOK at it correctly I'm hoping to get some answers here and any other forum I can find.

1. What does anyone here think the issues is if Not the MB? And what can I do to fix it?

2. If it is the MB (best bet anyways), what motherboard can I get that is not from ebay, amazon, some other shady shop, refurbished/used/open box, and that will be compatible with all my hardware?! I would want one that is equal to or better than the stock in it now.

Again sorry, but I'm a total noob when it comes to pc guts! And no, there is no dump files, even if there was I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Knew I'd forget something... Sometimes when it restarts after a BSOD it loads to a black screen saying no bootable device insert boot disc and press any key. To get it to stop and boot to windows I have to ctrl alt del and press F12 for boot options, manually picking the HD for it to boot from. Does this probably 50% of the time.

Last edited by x_Sah_x; 09-Jun-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: forgot something, knew it >.<
Member with 131 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jun-2012, 05:54 AM #2
It's too bad you can't find a shop that will test all the hardware. Anyway, if it were in my shop I'd start with all the basics, HDD test, mem test etc. Sounds like everything has been tested and passed between all the shops and yourself. The next thing to do is to start swaping out or pulling out everything you can and running it as bare as possible, adding one more piece of hardware at a time until it bsods. Then you know whats causing it. Have you tried the program who crashed? Looked at the event logs?
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,413 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jun-2012, 08:40 AM #3
I had a PC that did that. Then one night I noticed that it occurred whenever the fridge motor turned on.
Was actually a faulty plug on the fridge causing spikes - both electrical and radio.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, bsod, error, random

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!