Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

emptying recycle bin windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jun-2012, 11:18 AM #1
Cool emptying recycle bin windows 7
I have two drives on my laptop: C, 60gb and D, 400gb. C is completely full and D is virtually empty. I understand that the recycle bin resides on C but Windows does not allow me to empty it (the command is 'greyed' out, i.e. disabled). I have studied many such complaints on your site and elsewhere but my experience does not seem to align with that of others and the 'cures' do not work. I have several hundred photos stored, presumably on C, so I don't understand why they are not stored on D where there is plenty of room. This problem came to light when I tried to download Windows 7 Service Pack 1. I have performed a Disk Cleanup, and also a Run System File Checker (SFC) scan which produced the response 'Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations', which unfortunately means nothing to me. I should be grateful for your help here. Many thanks.

bedfordsax

ps I'm sorry but I don't understand your preamble - Download TSG SysInfo etc.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,385 posts.

11-Jun-2012, 11:46 AM #2
Quote:
but Windows does not allow me to empty it (the command is 'greyed' out, i.e. disabled)
That is with the Recycle Bin open and files/folders in it? Is Disk Cleanup able to empty the Recycle Bin?

Quote:
I have several hundred photos stored, presumably on C, so I don't understand why they are not stored on D where there is plenty of room.
Without more information I assume that they are on "C" because that is where you chose to store them. Please explain what you have done to try to get them saved on "D" instead. What do you have on "D"?

Quote:
ps I'm sorry but I don't understand your preamble - Download TSG SysInfo etc.
Some people have no clue what information to include in the Computer specs part of their profile on in a post requesting help so it is suggested to download and run TSG SysInfo and copy the results to Computer specs (or a post if applicable). That information is probably not needed for this thread.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 11:01 AM #3
Thank you for your prompt reply. Re your first query, it is not clear to me how to open the recycle bin and see what's in it. Can you tell me how to do this? I did run Disk Cleanup but I couldn't determine if it had any effect.

Concerning the photos, I didn't know I had a choice of location for them. I assumed the computer would put them where there was room. I have looked (I think) at the contents of C and D but could not see any folder that suggested photos. I haven't saved any photos recently but I will look for a choice of position when I do.
Computer Specs

12-Jun-2012, 12:15 PM #4
Quote:
it is not clear to me how to open the recycle bin
Double click on its icon.

You can, of course, save any file pretty much anywhere you desire, but the most common place for photos to be saved is in the 'My Pictures' folder, which by default in Windows 7 is included in the 'Pictures' library.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 06:30 PM #5
I have clicked (and double-clicked) on the icon many times but I am not offered a screen that makes sense. Please can you tell me what I should see and what I should do next. Thank you. By the way, I note that I seem to be registered as an intermediate user. I thought I registered as a beginner and after only two years on the 'net that is what I am.
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2012, 06:43 PM #6
First attachment is my Recycle Bin with a folder and file. Second attachment is my empty Recycle Bin (after I clicked on "Empty the Recycle Bin."
Attached Thumbnails
emptying recycle bin windows 7-capture1.jpg   emptying recycle bin windows 7-capture2.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

15-Jun-2012, 09:55 AM #7
Thanks for that, but when I d-click the r-bin icon I get a similar screen as you show except that I am not offered Recycle Bin adjacent to Organize. Consequently I have nowhere to go.
Computer Specs

15-Jun-2012, 11:38 AM #8
If you right click on any of the items in the Bin can you then select "delete permanently" (may not be the exact words)?
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

15-Jun-2012, 02:39 PM #9
For Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Computer, etc I am offered >delete> only (among other commands). For Desktop, Downloads, Recent Places, for example, the nearest to delete is <remove>. For OS (C and Local Disk (|D neither of these is available.

Thank you for your continuing patience.
Computer Specs

15-Jun-2012, 03:31 PM #10
You seem to be talking about the Navigation pane (which you can see on the left side of my attachments) of any Windows Explorer window. Let's stick with the contents of the Recycle Bin.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 09:55 AM #11
Where do I find the contents of the recycle bin? At no point in several hours of looking have I found what is in the recycle bin. After double-clicking the right hand side of the screen is blank.
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2012, 10:31 AM #12
If the Recycle Bin is empty it has no contents. Why do you think that it is not empty? Create a junk file or folder (as I did for my earlier attachment), drag it to the Recycle Bin, and then see if it shows in the contents.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!