Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I have no idea how to fix this...

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jun-2012, 09:52 AM #1
Question I have no idea how to fix this...
Hi,
The night before I went to install IMVU to talk to an old friend and the screen completely froze. I shut it down and switched it back one minute later and uninstalled IMVU. Then my laptop wouldn't let me onto the internet and I found there was another internet icon saying it was a 64-bit and it worked. I switched those out then I couldn't get onto any multiplayer games or online multiplayer sites. I reset the internet and it didn't help, I tried to recover everything. After my laptop went to recover everything it went to restart itself but the screen went black before the log in page showed up. I shut it down again and turned it back on a minute later and the screen was still black but I could see the mouse. I don't know how to fix this and I've tried searching for answers.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jun-2012, 10:47 AM #2
Is your Windows 7 a 32bit or 64bit version?
Member with 6 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 06:10 PM #3
I don't know I think it's a 32bit.
Computer Specs
Member with 293 posts.

Experience: I can only try
19-Jun-2012, 06:49 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiyuraSamui View Post
I don't know I think it's a 32bit.
You can check this in Computer > Properties, under the System title.

What is your current antivirus status?
Member with 6 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 11:30 PM #5
I can't check because I can't even log in on it. I have McAfee Antivirus and it said it was good.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

20-Jun-2012, 01:46 AM #6
Have you tried going back to before the mishap and restoring your computer to a previous time earlier than the one you say you used when it didnot come back after it tried to recover? I am thinking . . . Did Windows do an update right before all the problems started to occur? I just had to do a Recovery due to some glitch that showed up after a Windows Critical Update. For some reason I could not boot from my hard drive no matter what I did to the boot priorities in the Motherboard BIOS after the update. I now have Windows update set to download but let me decide whether or not to install updates so I can check on line to see if there have been problems after other people have installed a particular update.
Try this if you can only get black screen:
Start your computer in safe mode

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed. For more information, see What is safe mode?
Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers as possible causes. If a recently installed program, device, or driver prevents Windows from running correctly, you can start your computer in safe mode and then remove the program that's causing the problem. For more information about troubleshooting problems in safe mode, see Diagnostic tools to use in safe mode.
  1. <LI class=step>Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
    Click the Start button [IMG]mshelp://windows/?id=4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33[/IMG], click the arrow next to the Shut Down button [IMG]mshelp://windows/?id=eb058ccf-b21e-4dfe-9bb7-1ad6c83b705c[/IMG], and then click Restart.
    <LI class=step>Do one of the following:
    • <LI class=listItem>If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.
    <LI class=step>On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press Enter. For more information about options, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  2. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your monitor. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.
Diagnostic tools in safe mode :

Diagnostic tools to use in safe mode

When using safe mode to troubleshoot problems with your computer, you might find the following tools and features helpful.Straight from Windows 7 Help and Support files. SO you can try to recover again if you get the boot in safe mode to work. Maybe you can find what event happened in event viewer when your computer froze up and go from there. Hope it helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

20-Jun-2012, 01:51 AM #7
To boot in safe mode keep hitting F8 rapidly right after you start the computer up.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
20-Jun-2012, 02:02 AM #8
Do you want to restore the machine to factory settings (the way it was when you bought it)? That may be your only option at this point considering how messed up it is.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2012, 02:03 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishIKnu7 View Post
To boot in safe mode keep hitting F8 rapidly right after you start the computer up.
If that barely readable mess came from Help & Support, why didn't you just refer the OP there instead of posting such a mess?
Member with 6 posts.

20-Jun-2012, 02:15 AM #10
I tried to press F8 after I turned it on using safe mode, it just made this ringing noise. Yes I do want to restore it to factory settings, I don't know what OP is I posted this because I couldn't fix it and couldn't find an answer that helped.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2012, 03:46 AM #11
OP = "Original Poster" = you.

What is the make and model of the machine?
Member with 6 posts.

20-Jun-2012, 03:48 AM #12
Acer Aspire 5349-2481
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2012, 03:52 AM #13
For Acer, try Ctrl+F10 (or just F10) at startup to enter recovery.
Member with 6 posts.

20-Jun-2012, 03:54 AM #14
Start up with: Normal, Safe Mode, Safe mode w/ Networking, or Safe mode w/ command center?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
acer, black, laptop, recover, screen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!