Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Right command for Robocopy.

(!)

Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jun-2012, 11:42 AM #16
*Sigh* Ok, all's good now (Run as Admin solved all that stuff from before ^_^), except, there's one folder I never understood how got created, and can't seem to disable it from being read-only and switch its ownership over to me. It's a random folder on J: named e97f86013c7b52b5730d and it's locked. Has subfolders with names like 1025, 1036, 2070, and several other four digit named ones. What looks to be an installer named NDP20SP2-KB974417 and HotFixInstaller. Just looked it up and seems these are Windows files, dunno why their on my external hdd. Anyway, is it OK to delete this folder and how since it's locked (seems like I should be able to no prob right now, but just askin' before I do, lol)? Or is there another suffix I can add to the robocopy command that will skip over the folder "e97f86013c7b52b5730d" completely and move on? Because once it fails to copy this folder, it just gets stuck and continues to retry over and over. Thanks again for your help.
Member with 93 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 06:37 AM #17
No takers? lol
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 10:20 PM #18
Which switches did you use with Robocopy?
Member with 93 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 09:05 AM #19
robocopy J: Z: /dcopy:T /copyATSOU /E
is there a way to disable smileys so that shows up right? lol
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 04:36 PM #20
Re-read post #7. Those are the only switches you need when Robocopy is run from an elevated (right-click and select "Run as administrator") command prompt.
Member with 93 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 04:42 AM #21
Well yeah, what I'm sayin' is that I did that and that particular folder wont copy because it's locked and not sure how to unlock or if it's even of any importance for that HDD. But it's all good now. It just occurred to me that maybe I could (and just did... no idea why that worked, lol) add a bunch of X's to the start of that folder to make it the last thing copied, so when it gets stuck unable to copy that folder, I can just stop the robocopy and be finished, lol.
Member with 93 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 05:32 AM #22
Ok, looks like it got stuck on something else, but so I got pretty much everything I wanted transferred anyway. I just need one folder moved over and it seems " robocopy J:/x-OAKDDrive-x Z: /dcopy:T /copyATSOU /E " didn't exactly do what I wanted, lol. So what command do I use to copy the specific folder (x-OAKDDrive-x) from J: to Z:

The command I just tried just pours the contents of the folder into Z: Perhaps I just need to manually make that folder and try " robocopy J:/x-OAKDDrive-x Z: /dcopy:T /copyATSOU /E "? Seems there'd be a short easier way.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 08:15 AM #23
"robocopy J: Z: /dcopy:T /copy:DATSOU /E" is not the same as
"robocopy j:\ z:\ /e /copyall /xj".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbguru16 View Post
Ok, looks like it got stuck on something else, but so I got pretty much everything I wanted transferred anyway. I just need one folder moved over and it seems " robocopy J:/x-OAKDDrive-x Z: /dcopy:T /copyATSOU /E " didn't exactly do what I wanted, lol. So what command do I use to copy the specific folder (x-OAKDDrive-x) from J: to Z:

The command I just tried just pours the contents of the folder into Z: Perhaps I just need to manually make that folder and try " robocopy J:/x-OAKDDrive-x Z: /dcopy:T /copyATSOU /E "? Seems there'd be a short easier way.
I'm giving you the switches to use, and you say that's what you're doing, but then when you show the command line you're using, you're not using the switches I gave you that you say you're using.

I can't seem to help you, as you're ignoring the advice I'm giving.

So here's the last time. To copy the folder "x-OAKDDRIVE-x" from J: drive to Z: drive, use ROBOCOPY J:\x-OAKDDRIVE-x Z:\x-OAKDDRIVE-x /E /COPYALL / XJ
Member with 93 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 09:26 PM #24
My bad, I got the post users mixed up. Lots of multitasking lol. And when I said I did try that, even though I posted that I used the other robocopy command, what I meant is that I tried BOTH ways, and both the commands that you posted and mhd1360 posted presented the exact same problems (well, that's when I attempted to copy the entire HDD at the time, and thought we were still talking about that while avoiding how to copying the specific folder, lol). I appreciate the help and apologies for the frustrations, I got a bit confused in the jumble. In any case, that last command for the OAK folder did work, much thanks. Got a few beeps during the process, not quite sure what that's all about, but at least it got copied. ^_^
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!