Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 Install is stuck at "Setup is Starting"

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jun-2012, 07:05 AM #1
Unhappy Windows 7 Install is stuck at "Setup is Starting"
I purchased my laptop in January and I'm not really sure what happened, I must have been struck by a pretty bad virus or something because I had a lot of protection and ran regular scans. But anyway, one day I booted up my computer and it said error recovery or something a prompted me to repair my pc but I choose start windows normally, and it loaded normally but just before it could get to the login screen a blue screen error flashed for a split second then my laptop restarted and took me to the error screen again. when I try repair my computer, it takes me tow blank lie screen,ole the login screen, with a cursor in the middle, but no dialog box. I left this running for up to 3 days, so it's definitely not just loading. so I decided my computer is pretty much screwed, and searched for my installation disc it came with. (windows was already preinstalled so I'd never used it before. on startup I pressed f12 and booted from cd rom, then it said press any key and took me to a loading screen, which took about 5 minutes and then to the installation screen. I said my language is English, choose uk English etc. then it says install now or repair your computer. when I click the repair option, I am taken to the same blank blue screen from before. when I press install it says setup is starting... and the loading cursor is spinning, so I know it's not frozen. I left it for half an hour, tried again, and this time left it for 11 hours, but still no setup has started. there can't be anything wrong with my disc, I'd never taken it out of the packet before, and I was very careful not to scratch it. it's a dell operating system windows 7 disc for if you need to reinstall windows on your preinstalled pc. (like I am trying to do) I've researched into it and there is no floppy disc option to disable in bios, and that's the only solution I could find. :/
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2012, 10:25 AM #2
It probably isn't a virus or any kind of malware if you are experiencing issues when attempting a fresh Windows installation.
It's possible the hard drive has developed a fault, despite being only six-months old. You should test it to confirm if this is the case.

Download SeaTools for DOS from here (click Downloads): http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Now download & install (on a working PC of course) IMGBurn from here: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/
Use IMGBurn to create a CD from the SeaTools for DOS ISO CD-Image File.
Now boot your laptop from that CD and SeaTools for DOS will eventually appear on the screen.
Select your laptop's hard drive and test it using the long/extended test if available.

Hopefully the drive will pass the test, but at least you can then move on to troubleshoot the problem elsewhere, confident in the knowledge that it's not a faulty hard drive that's causing it. So testing it is definitely not a waste of time.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bsod, installation, loading, setup, windows

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!