Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Activating Windows 7 Issues

(!)

Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jul-2012, 11:59 PM #1
Activating Windows 7 Issues
I just solved a huge issue with windows 7 installation Freezing before it finished...

Now I am having a issue Activating it Windows 7 Home Premium on this HP G61

Due to the fact that the tag on the bottom of the laptop is worn and unreadable in parts, before I re-installed windows, I used a Product Key Grabber to grab what I thought was my windows key...
(This turned out to be a key registered to an ASUS laptop)

So now I have a fresh installation that needs activation and a half-unreadable product key.

I've read that you can call Microsoft support to activate over the phone, so I called them...
they told me I would have to call HP to get it, since Windows was preloaded on the machine when it was purchased...
So I called HP, after like 15 of trying to understand the lady who was asking random questions, she tells me that I have to purchase an extended warranty for them to read the product key to me, WHICH IS RIDICULOUS.

So my question is, what the hell do I do with this now?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-Jul-2012, 12:15 AM #2
Since an OEM version of Windows is licensed to the manufacturer, you will have to solve this through HP.

Why didn't the key you retrieved work?

How did you "reinstall" Windows? You could only do that if you had an HP copy of Windows or used the backup recovery partition on your machine, in which case you would not need a key. If you used a retail version, you will need to purchase a new copy of Windows to get a license.

In other words, you probably should have come here first.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 01:02 AM #3
The only thing you might try if all else fails is contact hp or look on the internet for places that sell the proper recovery/ restore cds/dvds for your model of computer.They will restore it back to the factory settings with whatever operating system the computer came with originally.
Member with 9 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 01:11 AM #4
Ya I probably should have come here first, but I didn't think it was gonna be an issue, Ive never run into this crap before lol

So apparently, the reason the key I retrieved didnt work is because, while trying to install, I updated my BIOS (and apparently the bios and the preinstalled key are linked?)

I had a windows 7 home premium ISO that I burned to dvd to install.
I also have a set of 3 (1 through 3) recovery disk set that was made from the HP laptop about a year ago. (It wasn't working for the reinstall, which is why I used the other ISO)

So should I use that set of dvds to restore, if possible?
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 01:22 AM #5
Yup restore disc is the way to go... But you will usually have to pay to get them if you are out of warenty... Did it install with "what you thought was the code" or are u un able to do so... I had a problem once where a few letters were worn(they need to take the sticker off the bottom) I had to guess... It installed but didn't activate... I thought it was the wrong key and almost gave up and paid for the disc but tried again and it worked... But I digress... But you should be able to order a recovery disc online or if you really lucky they may have came with the computer
Member with 9 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 06:57 PM #6
I installed with the key that I used the grabber to get, Ive been trying to use the one on the bottom but theres so many characters that I cant quite see that the possibilities are huge...

I was planning on reinstalling with the recovery disks, but I get the feeling that wouldn't help (because I updated the Bios) - I looked up 'downgrading' the bios but found that doing so (if possible) is a huge risk.

I find it insanely stupid that you have to PAY for something that you should ALREADY HAVE and just because they don't bother protecting the windows key on the bottom of the laptop like they do the other information (A plastic covering over the top).
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,256 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 09:50 PM #7
Most of the OEM versions do not even require that the key code to be entered, if one uses the System Recover or the OEM CD's from them.

As for paying for something that you already own, when the machine was first fire up, one is normally ask to make a set of Recover CD's, so that you do not have to buy them later.
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2012, 11:07 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSXVegeta View Post
Ya I probably should have come here first, but I didn't think it was gonna be an issue, Ive never run into this crap before lol

So apparently, the reason the key I retrieved didnt work is because, while trying to install, I updated my BIOS (and apparently the bios and the preinstalled key are linked?)

I had a windows 7 home premium ISO that I burned to dvd to install.
I also have a set of 3 (1 through 3) recovery disk set that was made from the HP laptop about a year ago. (It wasn't working for the reinstall, which is why I used the other ISO)

So should I use that set of dvds to restore, if possible?
If you didn't use HP's version, the key won't work, anyway. You can't use a standard retail version to replace HP's.

Do you still have a recovery partition on the drive or has it been removed? That was your "DVD".
Member with 9 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 12:00 AM #9
The recovery partition got removed and blown to bits... but I have the set of recovery disks that I guess I will try tonight~
Member with 2,118 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 10:19 AM #10
[QUOTE=SSXVegeta;8399809
So I called HP, after like 15 of trying to understand the lady who was asking random questions, she tells me that I have to purchase an extended warranty for them to read the product key to me, WHICH IS RIDICULOUS.

So my question is, what the hell do I do with this now?
Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

HP can be a pain to work with but it's amazing how consumer friendly they get when you report them. I went through a situation with failing hard drives and filed a complaint with Florida's Consumer Affairs agency. Do likewise and I guarantee you will get results. Chances are you will hear from their main office all sorry and willing to 'fix' your situation. My computer was out of warranty as well.
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2012, 10:33 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSXVegeta View Post
The recovery partition got removed and blown to bits... but I have the set of recovery disks that I guess I will try tonight~
Boot from the first disk and see what you can do.

You should make a full system backup when you get things running so you will have your own "factory restore" if this ever happens again, or when the drive dies.
Member with 9 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 11:14 PM #12
Ok, I thought the wipe/reinstall would have fixed this issue, but it must also be a driver/service issue -
but when I try to boot from the disk, it goes to the options (sometimes doesnt even make it that far) and then does the same slow down thing that happened when I tried to reinstall windows...
(the cursor slows WAYYY down and nothing happens when you click on an option or next or anything.)

Maybe 1 out of 15 tries or so it doesn't do it and I select the factory reset option and start it and immediately get "Your computer is running off of battery power, please plug in an AC adapter and try again" or something like that... I AM plugged in... sighhh...
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,256 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:21 AM #13
Sounds like the external power supply is NOT working.
Member with 9 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 06:48 PM #14
Ya, I thought that it was some driver issue or something that would have been fixed by the windows reinstall, but it still doesn't pick up that its plugged in, Im running some HP battery tests and such at the moment to see if theres any fix

Update - most of their "battery test" things wouldn't work for one reason or another, but when I installed HP diagnostics the Battery test at pre-boot worked and gave me

"Primary - Replace
Failure ID
rtsnxl-00065t-xd0021-c09f03"

Another Update -
Had a "Brilliant" idea to just take the stupid battery out when trying to use the Recovery Disks, and what do you know, it doesn't freeze AT ALL...

Anyways I started the Factory Restore and around 17%-20% I get this error.
"Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image.
Please Contact HP Support. Error Code: 0xe0ef000e"

And it forces me to either try again or reboot... So the only thing that I accomplished was to kill my windows installation again...
God must hate me eh?

Last edited by SSXVegeta; 06-Jul-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 11,401 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 05:53 AM #15
The last time I bought a set of System Discs from HP, they only cost me $20 and arrived at my door with in 5 days.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!