Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows7 and Acronis?

(!)

captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2012, 01:06 PM #1
Solved: Windows7 and Acronis?
OK folks, here is a problem I just noticed since moving from Vista to Windows7 this week. I have been using the free edition of Acronis supplied by Western Digital for over a year now with absolutely no problems. When I cloned my hard drive Acronis would make an exact duplicate on my second internal hard drive. I have on several occasions had to use my clone to get my system back to normal after messing up my original. I seem to do that now and then Anyway, like I said, when making these Clones which I do weekly they would be identical meaning if my C: drive has 55G's on it my cloned drive D: would have the same 55G's.

Now I just in the past few days have done a custom install of Windows7 and it is running GREAT! So, last night before I went to bed I did my Acronis Clone. This morning I noticed that my D: drive was 29G's smaller than my C: drive? OK, so I thought I would go ahead and do a quick format of D: drive and try Acronis again. After it completed both drives were exact amount, YEA I thought. Now, just 30 minutes later I checked to see the difference knowing that C: drive would be growing as I used it; but to my dismay D: drive was almost 30G's smaller? What is going on?

Thanks,
Capt

PS, I'm using ATI 2010 build 14.157
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 09:35 PM #2
I tried the newer version Free trial; but it did not have the Cloning feature activated Anyone with ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,102 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2012, 10:32 PM #3
I don't know why the D drive usage is changing but I've found this free Partition tool useful, it includes a Disk Cloning option however I have not used that option myself.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

You can make a bootable CD with the installed program or download the Iso here :- http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 11:37 PM #4
Thanks for that info, will check into it. I do have two different makes of drives. WD Black and a Seagate both Sata. The Seagate is the one giving me problems. I downloaded the SeaTools from Seagate to check out the drive.

Update, drive passed all tests. Hummmm

Last edited by captainron276; 04-Jul-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:27 AM #5
Managed,

I burned the bootable CD and tried using it; but when it loaded in DOS, I was unable to use it due to no keyboard or mouse I have a wireless set and no USB set laying around. Anyway, I took the CD out and shut her down. I am wondering if my Seagate drive is going? I did run the Seagate HD program and all checked out; but am considering purchasing another WD Black series drive since my Seagate is over 5 years old.
When I finished up for the night I set Acronis to due a Cloning and then shut down when finished. When I turned on the computer this morning both drives were identical in size; but after 10 minutes of use the Seagate drive lost half of it's size again

Oh well, maybe somone else will have an idea
Computer Specs
Member with 4,102 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 09:54 PM #6
I think you can make a clone from the installed program. It may reboot and actually make the clone before windows starts.

Can you check to see which folders/files go missing on D ?
I have a hunch windows is doing this and the drive is ok.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:23 PM #7
Managed,

I checked the folders of each drive and they are identical, nothing is missing; but when I click on C:drive it shows 67.8G's and D: drive shows 33.3G's.
I am still using the WD Acronis and after it completes and brings me back into Windows both drives show the same. Oh well, I feel pretty sure it's all there; but still might get another WD drive coming soon. I am also thinking of getting either Acronis 11 or 12, still have not made up my mind on that.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,102 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 12:31 AM #8
What does Disk Management show for the each drive ?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 12:36 AM #9
It shows the same as the rest, that my backup drive (Seagate) is 32G;s shy of the WD Drive. It also shows them identical right after completing a Clone. Very strange...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 12:38 AM #10
I have run the Seagate and WD software drive tests and all pass...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 12:43 AM #11
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 610258 MB, Free - 545180 MB; D: Total - 152531 MB, Free - 120854 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled
Computer Specs
Member with 4,102 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:11 AM #12
And the clone works ok even though it seems to be smaller than the original ?

When you run the clone what does it show for the disk sizes ?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:15 AM #13
Managed,

I have not run the clone. The only way I know how to do this is to turn off computer, take the side off and then swap Sata cable. I have on occasion when I have wiped out my main drive from stupidity and it always worked. Basically all I do is use my D: drive as a backup, never run it.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:31 AM #14
OK, I figured out how to boot to my other drive by clicking F12 during start up to get to Boot options. I booted up using the Seagate drive and sure enough, it is only showing half the amount of Data as my WD drive. This is crazy. I think it's time to get a new HD.
I do have a new Acronis coming in next week and will see if that is the problem. Will let you know.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 01:28 AM #15
Here's the latest.

After running D: drive for a spell, and all working normal, I rebooted and selected C: drive. C: was showing 66G's and D: was showing 33G's. I then did a check disk on C: all was fine, and after booting up it is now showing 33G's and both drives are the same. Driving me nuts...lol
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!