Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MSN has stopped working AGAIN!!

(!)

Member with 135 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 07:54 PM #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-wolf View Post
WE know that the HDD is probably good.
What version of windows are you running and is it up todate?
I have windows 7 nad the last updates I have are dated 6/14. I checked for more recent updates and found none.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2012, 08:05 PM #32
Uninstall IE9 then reinstall it. Here is a link to the directions from microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...net-explorer-9
Member with 135 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 11:30 PM #33
Quote:
Uninstall IE9 then reinstall it. Here is a link to the directions from microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...net-explorer-9
Followed instructions from your link. When I tried to uninstall this came up; "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates (Windows IE9) were successfully uninstalled." I tried it 3X rebooting after each try. Same answer. (My windows media player isn't working now either. I need to run an instructional DVD for a new product (not computer related) and it won't auto run.
I wonder how good Bill Gates computer runs???
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 05:28 AM #34
I have donw this procedure with no problems. You have other issues, you have run some other utilities on your computer according to one of your earlier posts, if you have run a registry cleaner that could be part of the problem.
Go ahead and reinstall IE9. If that doesn't clear things up you need to go to the malware section of the thread or do a clean install of windows if you don't have a repair disk.
Member with 135 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 07:45 PM #35
Quote:
I have donw this procedure with no problems. You have other issues, you have run some other utilities on your computer according to one of your earlier posts, if you have run a registry cleaner that could be part of the problem.
Go ahead and reinstall IE9. If that doesn't clear things up you need to go to the malware section of the thread or do a clean install of windows if you don't have a repair disk.
I can't reinstall IE 9 because it didn't uninstall completely so when I tried a message came up that I already had a previous version. Ugh. I ran SpyBot again and got rid of some issues but I still can't get rid of Babylon search. I did get some new updates from Microsoft today but after I installed them, nothing changed. After I ran Spybot as Administrator I rebooted and when Itried to log onto MSN, I got this message: "MSN Archive Stability - MSN Archive: Checksum mismatch is file themedef.mar:navbar/messenger_pills2.imc " This seems like it's getting worse...... I don't know how to do a clean install of Win. Could you please tell me how & should I do a back up on my external hard drive first? Will I lose data ie: not saved in folders? I don't have a repair disk. I think I'm so done. I'm so frustrated and I really appreciate all your help.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 08:00 PM #36
You need to back up any files that you want to keep.
Is your computer store bought or home built? Do you have any discs that came with the computer?
Member with 135 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 08:20 PM #37
It's an HP. It came with Vista. I have Vista recovery disks 1 & 2 and a "Supplemental Recovery" disk that I have no clue what's on it. When I upgraded to Win 7, I bought the Home Premium Upgrade designed for Vista. I will run a new complete back up tonight as I don't know how to do a partial anyway. Will I lose all files, all emails, everything? Now you KNOW there will be a problem with that too right? Just forewarning you....
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 08:25 PM #38
When you do a reinstall you will loose all data on the harddrive.
Member with 135 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 09:10 PM #39
So can I reinstall files, emails etc. from the backup I create?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 09:17 PM #40
Programs will have to be reinstalled. Files such as documents, music, etc. can be recovered from your backup. Emails need to be saved according to what ever method your email client instructs you to do, usually a google search will link you to step by step instructions.
Member with 135 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 09:20 PM #41
Quote:
Here's a new development. I reran SpyBot, fixed the errors and then rebooted. I try to log on using my MSN butterfly. Can't even get to the page! " MSN Archive Stability. MSN archive: checksum mismatch in file themedef.mar:navbar/messenger_pills2.imc" Does this mean that messenger is corrupt? I deleted that too from the uninstall program file (by accident). ARG.........
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 09:29 PM #42
You seem to have a lot going on in your computer. I recommend you do a system reinstall as it is probably only going to get worse. Get your backups done.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 09:46 PM #43
Find a trusted friend or relative who has experience reinstalling Windows. If you've never done this and have no idea how to even back up all your data, you will definitely have problems and could lose things you want to keep.

At this point, we still don't even know where your e-mails are stored. No one here knows what this MSN program thing is that you're using. I'm not sure you'll find someone in your circle of friends and family who does either, but that's your best shot.

You will also need to reinstall all your programs. If you had to enter license keys when you installed them, you'll need those too. If you lost them, you'll probably have to re-buy all the software.

If we could figure out what the heck you're actually using this MSN thing for, we might be able to help you stop using it. So what do you use it for? E-mail? For what account? You mentioned Hotmail. Go to www.hotmail.com, and log in with your account. Are your e-mails there or not? If they are, you don't need MSN for that.

What else do you use it for?
Member with 135 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:33 PM #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Find a trusted friend or relative who has experience reinstalling Windows. If you've never done this and have no idea how to even back up all your data, you will definitely have problems and could lose things you want to keep.

At this point, we still don't even know where your e-mails are stored. No one here knows what this MSN program thing is that you're using. I'm not sure you'll find someone in your circle of friends and family who does either, but that's your best shot.

You will also need to reinstall all your programs. If you had to enter license keys when you installed them, you'll need those too. If you lost them, you'll probably have to re-buy all the software.

If we could figure out what the heck you're actually using this MSN thing for, we might be able to help you stop using it. So what do you use it for? E-mail? For what account? You mentioned Hotmail. Go to www.hotmail.com, and log in with your account. Are your e-mails there or not? If they are, you don't need MSN for that.

TY Doublehelix for coming back to help us. Blackwolf has been very helpful. I on the other hand am not a technical person. I use programs to get what I need out of them, & that's about it. I have however learned very much from this forum. NOW... When I click my shorcut (the butterfly), MSN sign in - MSN Explorer comes up. When I log onto MSN Premium, the home page comes & says at top left: Welcome MSN Premium. At sign in, my browser at top reads "MSNMember.My.MSN.com. It is my home page, my browser and I can navigate the web from there using Google or Bing with complete confidence. I've had too many problems with Internet Explorer so I stopped using it as my default browser. From there I have my 3 email accounts. 2 for me (1 is Verizon Online DSL (my phone service) that originally offered MSN Premium as an add on to their Verizon internet service. Even though Verizon no longer supports MSN Premium. My home phone, cell phones and internet service are all bundled on my Verizon bill. I am MOST familiar with MSN Premium as I've had it for many years, at least since 1999. I hate hotmail since I cannot access my Verizon emails. My husband has the third email account when he signs in using his email address and has only MSN email as I would have to pay extra for him to have a Verizon email account. We have a lot of very important email files set up. Can you use the MSN link to access it and maybe then you'll see what I'm referring to. There HAS to be someone here that knows what MSN Premium is. I think I saw a post about it referring that MSN has stopped working using it. My Media player won't work now either. I have run all my Antivirus tools and cleaned up the malware, etc. and all is ok. I'm really trying not to do a complete system reinstall so I don't lose data. I have an external harddrive and am going to attempt to run a complete b/u now. Will report back asap. Thanks in advance.

What else do you use it for?
Member with 135 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 01:06 AM #45
OK. Just as i figured. The back up failed at about 68%. "Windows back up did not complete successfully. Windows B/U encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder. Details: The semphore timeout period has expired." This just keep getting weirder & weirder. I feel like I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!