Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7: Too "plain" of an operating system compared to Mac?

(!)

Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Jul-2012, 03:47 PM #1
Thumbs down Windows 7: Too "plain" of an operating system compared to Mac?
I would like to lay out some of my opinions here on Windows 7:

1.I think the operating system's design is pretty lackluster. The features aren't too advanced from previous versions of Windows, and it gives a "plain" kind of feel when using the system.

2.After 14 years since Windows 98, the best loading animation logo Windows 7 can use is a little waving flag?

3.Why do the taskbar icons ALWAYS HAVE TO be on the left of application tabs?

4.Why is Windows 7's help documentation so poor, under-written, and out of date?

5.Still always comes with crappy, low-quality pre-installed software.

These are just five poorly written reasons in this spur of the moment(I'm sick right now)that I can come up with.

Question is: Will Windows 8 satisfy me? Possibly others who agree as well?

Please share your thoughts.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,887 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 04:39 PM #2
1. Vista has huge advances from previous Windows versions. Windows 7 mostly fixes Vista's problems and annoyances.

2. Two words: who cares?

3. I have no idea what "application tabs" are.

4. Probably because so few of their customers even look at the documentation that does exist. Not to make excuses for Microsoft but producing good user guides and the like is tremendously difficult; there are few good technical writers, and software designers and developers are almost universally adverse to documenting their products. So even when a good tech writer tries to produce a manual it's almost impossible to get the engineers to review the drafts.

5. IE is not exactly pre-installed; worse, it is integrated into the design. With Windows 7 they temporarily stopped including an email client. Windows Defender is pretty much a joke in Vista and Windows 7, but appears to be good in Windows 8. I think that a lot of people expect a lot of the other stuff, such as Media Player, a photo viewer, a simple text processor and drawing tool, etc. They perform OK, and those of us who want better can buy other products and even find some pretty good free ones.

Quote:
Will Windows 8 satisfy me?
Four words: No, and who cares.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 05:53 PM #3
Quote:
1.I think the operating system's design is pretty lackluster. The features aren't too advanced from previous versions of Windows, and it gives a "plain" kind of feel when using the system.
So it seams that you don't know windows at all! Being from planet MAC . "lackluster" You obviously don't know how to manipulate Windows to do what you want! "previous versions of Windows" Win7 is beyond it's predecessors in pretty much all aspects.

Quote:
2.After 14 years since Windows 98, the best loading animation logo Windows 7 can use is a little waving flag?
From the words of a respected member! "who cares" Your griping about a boot screen? Run a new one!

Quote:
3.Why do the taskbar icons ALWAYS HAVE TO be on the left of application tabs?
Whats an application tab?

Quote:
4.Why is Windows 7's help documentation so poor, under-written, and out of date?
Who reads the help documentation in Windows any more... That is why people come to sites like this! So we can find solutions as a community. Yes, it is poor... But as was said.. "who cares!"

Quote:
5.Still always comes with crappy, low-quality pre-installed software.
Well! That is not from the Windows OS itself, but the OEM that provides the machine! HP, DELL and the like. That would be called "Kick Back" for the OEM.

Last edited by Lance1; 07-Jul-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jul-2012, 06:55 PM #4
Don't know why I read this.
"NuttyBar" appropriate.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is online now Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 06:57 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-wolf View Post
Don't know why I read this.
"NuttyBar" appropriate.
Well and said...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,887 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 09:22 AM #6
I think I'll now don my mod's hat and close this. I tried to give the initial post more respect than it really deserves for a technical forum, but I'm afraid it may degrade considerably and I'd hate to have to give everybody (including myself!) a warning or infraction. A thread like this may be appropriate for the Controversial Topics or Randumb Discussion forum.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
microsoft, operating system, plain, sucks, windows

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!