Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

monitor stuck in sleep mode

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2012, 10:32 PM #1
Unhappy monitor stuck in sleep mode
Hi, my name is Bryan and im having problems with my monitor, it doesnt want to get out of sleep mode. Right now I have the comp apart which is no problem for me to put it back together. Im assuming its either the battery not giving enough power or the connection where you plug the monitor into is bad.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 01:53 PM #2
Why did you take your computer apart to troubleshoot a monitor problem?? What "battery" are you talking about? Is this a laptop (in which case, that's not a monitor, that's the display)?

Monitors rarely fail. It's far more likely that your computer isn't actually booting up. The easiest way to check is connect the computer to a known working monitor. If it's still "sleeping", your computer isn't booting.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 02:32 AM #3
My bad, I meant the power box. How would you be able to tell if it boots or not, aint the tower suppose to make noise when that happens and how could you troubleshoot that? I also plugged in a different monitor to the tower and it did the same thing, nothing. In the begging when this first happened I would re-start the computer and I couldn't press enter on start windows normally but I could move the cursor. Now, nothing shows up on the computer.

10-Jul-2012, 08:02 AM #4
Power box?? You mean the single power supply unit? The "tower" refers the actual computer which contains the power supply, motherboard, RAM, hard drive, optical drives, and video card. There is no battery in a "power box". There may be a battery on the motherboard that provides power to it to store BIOS settings and the time. That has nothing to do with whether or not the computer boots.

You confirmed what I suspected. You don't have a monitor problem. Your computer is not booting or starting up. What, exactly, happens when you push the power button on the computer (not the monitor or the power supply)? Be specific. Do any lights come on? Where? Any sounds? What? Beeping? Spinning?

What is the make and model of this computer? Is it old? Has it ever been cleaned out as with a can of compressed air?
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 04:26 AM #5
I will reconnect everyback back together and I will see exactly what is going on then I will be more specific. Im really doing this for my aunty, so I will get back with you tomorrow evening. Thanks for trying to help me fix this issue for my aunty.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 04:22 AM #6
Here's the verdict, I put the computer back together and seen for myself what the problem was. I found out that the monitor does not work and stays in sleep mode. After putting the application disc in to see what would happen which the monitor did work because the choices that popped up said (del: start menu and F12 boot menu). Finding out the keyboard did not allow me to do anything. So I trouble shot that by noticing that it was a purple cord plug which I plug another keyboard with the purple plug in which it still did not do anything. I then tried another keyboard which this one was a USB plug in, that also did not work. So now that I have found what the problem is, can you still help me with this situation?

12-Jul-2012, 08:13 AM #7
I said the monitor wasn't the problem earlier in this thread. Your computer wasn't booting. Now you're booting from some kind of disk. You can't boot from software disks, so I'm not sure what you have, and I don't understand what you think the problem is.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 02:55 AM #8
My aunty has a emachine desktop which does nothing unless a put a disk in. How do I boot the computer when it shows nothing on the monitor? I figure if I put the disk in it will be me choices. What do you think I should do about this situation?

13-Jul-2012, 08:56 AM #9
Computers boot without inserting disks. There's something wrong with the computer. This is not a monitor problem or you wouldn't see anything on the screen at all under any circumstances.

It would help if you could provide a clearer description of the problem. You push the power button on the computer and.........what? What happens? Any lights come on? Hear anything spin? Beep? What? When did the problem start? What happened to the computer?

What disk are you putting in the drive and booting from? Do you see the BIOS post screen?
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 02:03 AM #10
When I start the computer the monitor stays in sleep mode. When I insert a disk something pops up giving me 2 choices 1: Delete for Start Menu 2: Start for Boot Menu which now the keyboard does not work which I tried 2 other keyboards. I cant press delete, start nor anything else. My Cousin was playing a game or downloading a game and something popped up which he doesn't know how to read and press ok. From that point, the computer is doing what its doing now.

17-Jul-2012, 08:11 AM #11
I can't help you if you won't answer my questions.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 02:34 AM #12
When I push the power button on the computer it does nothing, no beeps, no lights, no spin. When I insert a disk something pops up giving me 2 choices 1: Delete for Start Menu 2: Start for Boot Menu which now the keyboard does not work which I tried 2 other keyboards. I cant press delete, start nor anything else. My Cousin was playing a game or downloading a game and something popped up which he doesn't know how to read and press ok. From that point, the computer is doing what its doing now.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 03:55 AM #13
What question is it that your asking? I really do need the help to fix this computer for my aunty because she keeps bugging me about.

27-Jul-2012, 08:12 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Computers boot without inserting disks. There's something wrong with the computer. This is not a monitor problem or you wouldn't see anything on the screen at all under any circumstances.

It would help if you could provide a clearer description of the problem. You push the power button on the computer and.........what? What happens? Any lights come on? Hear anything spin? Beep? What? When did the problem start? What happened to the computer?

What disk are you putting in the drive and booting from? Do you see the BIOS post screen?
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 01:50 AM #15
When I push the power button on the computer seconds later theres a quick noise, almost sounds like the reader of the disk drive moved and thats it. the monitor stays in sleep mode and there is no beeps, spins or lights flashing. When I put the emachine recovery disc (1850-ole) in, then I hear a beep and spinning. A big e shows up on the monitor and it gives me these options, Del : Enter Setup F12 : Boot Menu which I cant do nothing with the mouse or keyboard. My cousin was on a web site which had free games, he was downloading other games at the same time games. Things started to pop up and he was just pushing ok on all that was popping up which I couldnt tell you what they were.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!