Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I think my hard drive corrupted. Yesterday windows said Unmoutable_Boot_Volume

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:43 PM #1
I think my hard drive corrupted. Yesterday windows said Unmoutable_Boot_Volume
2 days ago I woke up and my laptop's screen was blank. It wouldn't do anything so I held the power button and rebooted. Windows started to start up, but it gave a blue screen with an message saying unmountable boot volume. After that It told me to run startup repair, so I did, but it's just a black screen with a mouse. I tried booting with the windows 7 dvd, and the same thing happens. I have probably the simplest BIOS in the world. The only things you can really change are the time, and boot order. A lot of people say to change your hard drive type, but I can't. I ran the hard drive test though, and it said I had a bad hard drive, even though it ran fine for almost 2 years. I have 4 hard drive partions, Windows 7, 8, linux mint, and the recovery. I can't boot to linux or 8. I tried to make a live ubuntu DVD to at least get my files off, but when I try to mount it it says to run ckcdsk /R on a DOS command prompt. Now this morning when I tried to boot it says a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart, and I can't even attempt to start windows. I really need to get the files off of it, a lot of it isn't backed up. I assume it just keeps getting worse, and a smaller chance of recovery. How can I get my files backed up, and hopefully fix it, but I could live with just getting the data off and buying a new hard drive.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,221 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 01:38 PM #2
It looks like the drive is on its way out. You could slave the laptop hard drive to another computer via a USB enclosure. Go HERE to learn how.
Member with 4 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 06:40 PM #3
Now it boots again, but this time when windows was starting up, I could here clicking coming from the hard drive, then the message again. I think it might be physical damage.
Computer Specs
Member with 497 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2012, 08:43 AM #4
Clicking? thats not good. Back up everything ASAP.
Member with 4 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 07:52 PM #5
I've tried already, I ordered a USB enclosure off the internet, hopefully i can back it up and fix it using that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!