Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer performs factory restore

(!)

DorianVonRichter   (Adam) DorianVonRichter is offline DorianVonRichter has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 361 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2012, 07:25 PM #1
computer performs factory restore
I'm helping out my cousin, his Compaq laptop keeps automatically performing a factory reset. This time it seems when he was installing Service Pack 1, it began the factory restore operation. What is causing this? I will get system specs ASAP so it might help.

Thanks, Adam
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,773 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 07:29 PM #2
Wow, never heard of this happening. No ideas, but have a question.

Does it happen while Windows is running or does it happen upon boot (the Recovery boots instead of Windows)?
DorianVonRichter   (Adam) DorianVonRichter is offline DorianVonRichter has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 361 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 07:37 PM #3
Ok, it downloaded the service pack and installed it and then the shutdown screen that said please wait, windows installing service pack, do not unplug computer. That seems to finish and then reboots and that is when the factory restore process begins.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,773 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 07:40 PM #4
Usually to boot to the factory restore process you tap a key upon power on or restart (maybe F11, but I'm just guessing). Try to determine if that key is stuck.
Computer Specs
Member with 361 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 07:45 PM #5
Could his recovery partition be corrupted, I know it sounds far fetched, but I'm asking anyway. Also, I noticed that the factory restore software is by Cyberlink, I didn't think that Cyberlink dealt with that software.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,079 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2012, 10:48 PM #6
I would call Compaq/HP support on this one!
Computer Specs
Member with 361 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 10:56 PM #7
@DaveA, I agree with you, I just wanted to see if I could solve this before we had to call HP/Compaq tech support. Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!