Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer freezes often

(!)

marianne marianne is offline marianne has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jul-2012, 08:30 PM #1
Solved: Computer freezes often
Frustrated. I upgraded my computer from Vista to Windows 7 (tech do it at Best Buy). Didn't have problems until a round mid June. Uninstalled some programs, did scans with Malwarebyts (found a bunch of malicious software), cleaned with ccleaner. Cleaned c drive. Scanned for viruses with micorsoft security essentials (nothing found). When I try to install my new webcam computer shows blue screen with ... windows has shut down to avoid damage... and today I it was doing scan for viruses and froze again. Sometimes computer shuts down while simply clicking on a link in a website. A few weeks ago I used ccleaner to clearn up the registry and I fear something may have happened then as I've recently read that one should not mess with the registry. There are some other things I've tried but can't recall at the moment. Any suggestions on what to try.
Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
12-Jul-2012, 09:39 PM #2
Have you got a restore point from before the registry got damaged?

Do you get any blue screens or error messages?
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 10:06 PM #3
I did a restore but don't recall now but it was later. Can't I restore the the registry items cleaned by ccleaner from the back up?
Yes I get blue screen messages, sometimes the computer just shuts off. Sometimes I get the blue screen messages. I just tried again to install my logitec webcam and the screen just went black. I toop snapshots of the screen with my camera but haven't figured out how to post here. Message:
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION and appears to be from trying to install the webcam.
tech info
STOP: 0x0000003B and a bunch more digits and numbers.
Wants me to make sure software is properly installed, ect.
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 03:39 AM #4
I am still having a problem with the shut downs and blue screen (windows has shut down to avoid damage to computer) but now it is happening mainly while trying to install Logitech Webcam. CD installs but when I plug in the usb the shut down occurs or the blue screen message. So I am wondering if it's a security problem. I've tried to install at least 6 times. Only once did the software install without shutting down. I got things working except for the audio so followed instruction provided in help (included removing install before installing updated version) and was back to zero. The original operating system was vista and had it upgraded to windows 7. Can I expect things to work as if it was originally windows 7 or should I expect problems with the upgrade.
By the way after removing some programs including some that had not installed properly the shutdowns and freezing seemed to stop. At the moment the only problem I'm having is trying to install the webcam.
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

15-Jul-2012, 09:06 PM #5
No one has responded. Blue screens and shut down's more frequent not. I'm using a laptop as my computer is unstable now. How do I get help. I'm doing some searches on my own. Also I tried to locate ccleaner registry back up from last time I ran it but things seem a lot different with windows 7. Help. I donated $20 recently so I'm pulling my weight.

Computer wont stay connected to the internet now. Restart temporarily fixes and then it looses connection. Our computers are networked to a 2wire router and the other 2 are connected wireless as well and having no trouble staying connected.

Just learned the router was a bit too far out of range as I moved it closer and now have internet connection. I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by marianne; 15-Jul-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

16-Jul-2012, 04:09 PM #6
All issues have not been resolved and it looks like I won't get any more help here so goodby.
Marianne
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,678 posts.

16-Jul-2012, 04:29 PM #7
Marianne,
Do you know the make and model # of you Webcam? Also, CCleaner and any Registry programs are just a click away from messing up the Registry. In other words they should not be used. I was having problems with my Vista so when I bought the Upgrade Windows 7 I elected to do the Custom install which formatted the drive and started fresh. Of course I backed up all my files and all before doing so. Now it's like having a new computer You might need to do the same thing if the Tech's can't get you running smoothly.
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 01:11 AM #8
Webcam is Logitech c525, compable with xp, vista and 7. I installed it on my son's vista laptop with no problems. Interesting you upgraded to windows 7 as that's what I did since I was having lots of problems with vista. Computer is only 3 yrs old. Maybe I should take it back and have 7 reinstalled after backing up. Or if I could locate the backed up registry that ccleaner cleaned up I could restore the registry to the way it was. I'm reading up on using command prompt now so I learn the right path. What a pain. I am 72 yrs old and caring for my ailing husband and have no interest in becoming a computer repair woman.

Computer froze up this evening when I started a virus scan and then opened a website and clicked a couple of links.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,678 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 10:36 AM #9
I truly don't believe Ccleaner's back up registry is going to fix anything, in fact it would probably just mess up the registry even more so. At this point it might be best to take it back and have them do the Custom install so as to have a bran new operating system without the excess baggage from the previous install.

Good luck,

Capt
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 04:13 PM #10
Thanks, that seems the easiest at this point.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,678 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 04:22 PM #11
Please let us know how it goes
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 11:17 PM #12
I will, at least I was able to download and install Core Temp and CPU is running at normal temps. I wanted to rule that out at least.
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 09:01 AM #13
Update. Having windows 7 reinstalled. Will inform on results as soon as I get it back.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,678 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 11:32 PM #14
OK Marianne
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 10:49 PM #15
Hard drive or memory may be the problem
I won't have my computer for 2 to 3 weeks. Partly because the flash card reader went out and parts have to be ordered. If hard drive or memory, , well we'll see. They're all covered by an extended warrenty so no worry. Will post the results. Tech told me a blue screen with white text is never good.

Marianne
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen 0x00000050, freezes up

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!