Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Restore to Factory settings

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jul-2012, 07:40 PM #1
Restore to Factory settings
Hello,
Having a little trouble restoring my computer to factory settings. I dont know why but I cant seem to just do it through the advanced menu because it says i dont have a restore point. Does anyone else know how to Restore my computer totally without having to buy a new operating system, Or even Just using a old one.

I think I have windows 7 but i put that on after I removed the Windows XP
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jul-2012, 08:13 PM #2
If that computer came with Windows XP pre-installed and then you replaced it with Windows 7, you probably destroyed its built-in system recovery partition and its ability to revert it back to Windows XP and its original factory condition.

What's the brand name and model name and model number of that computer?

-------------------------------------------------------
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2012, 11:23 AM #3
Brand Is HP
Product name=HP Pavilion dv9500
It looks like it came with Vista Not XP
Is their anything else you would need
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,016 posts.

16-Jul-2012, 02:08 PM #4
To "recover or restore to factory defaults" use your set of Recovery disks (that you hopefully made) or the installation XP CD or Vista DVD that came with the machine. Or, if you initially had only a Recovery Partition you may be able to buy a set of Recovery DVDs from HP.

Or, unless you are getting this ready to sell, gift or donate, why not just install using your Windows 7 installation DVD?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2012, 05:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedgeek View Post
Brand Is HP
Product name=HP Pavilion dv9500
It looks like it came with Vista Not XP
The HP Pavilion dv9500 series laptop has 33 models, so we need to determine what the exact model number of your laptop is.

Look at the sticker on the bottom of the case and then advise us what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on it is.

Once we determine the exact model number, we should be able to provide you with the support site for it and where you can possibly still purchase a system recovery disc kit for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!