Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

find restored locations of files from recycle bin

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jul-2012, 12:54 AM #1
find restored locations of files from recycle bin
my aunt restored 2 deleted files from the recycle bin but she claimed she couldn't find them in the original location where they were deleted. She couldn't quiet recall the names of the files except that they were .pptx files. Is there an advanced search for something like this?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 01:03 AM #2
Question find pptx files
Maybe I missed something, but have you tried a wildcard search in Start>Search> *.pptx
That should find all instances of .pptx files. If it finds any, right-click on them and choose >go to folder/location<
The file names found should remind you what they are...

Last edited by QCTech; 17-Jul-2012 at 01:19 AM..
Member with 4 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 01:35 AM #3
Hi QCTech, thanks for your reply. I guess it does seem to be the only sensible way; the only problem is that she has literally thousands of .pptx files. I was trying to see if there's a way i can sort newly restored files from recycle bin namely it might have a new date created attribute to the files - but i really doubt this.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 02:21 AM #4
Red face pptx files addl...
If you don't mind getting in Linux or Unix, PHP and/or TAR, search Google for this string:
Recursively list files by latest date accessed or modified
That should put you into Stackoverflow.com where they discuss how to do recursive searches of files for last, latest or date modified or accessed. You are correct in assuming the creation dates may not change but access and modification dates may, when they are sent to the Recycle Bin and/or Restored. I found that much, but nothing in windows that will do that kind of search, altho it must be available somewhere in Microsoft's massive libraries.
Member with 4 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 10:13 AM #5
Thanks a lot QCTech! I will try your advice.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,238 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2012, 09:35 PM #6
This might find them, unzip and run the EXE file, then go to the 'Extension' column (may need to scroll right to see it) and click on 'Extension' at the top to order the files then look for any .pptx files.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/recent_files_view.html

I would get the Unicode version (download will start when you click on this) :- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/recentfilesview_u.zip
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
deleted, location, recycle-bin, restore

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!