Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HDMI sound

(!)

Member with 244 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 05:08 PM #1
HDMI sound
Just bought a new Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS graphics card to replace my dying onboard video. I have a Vizio HDMI TV however I am not getting sound through the HDMI cable. Was under the impression HDMI transmitted video as well as sound.

Not sure if the problem is with the TV or with the Video Card?

Any info on the card is appreciated

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 11,257 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jul-2012, 09:14 PM #2
Go to Control Panel - sound - Playback. Make sure the TV is listed and selected.
Member with 244 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 04:00 AM #3
The TV was listed and selected, still no sound. Am I incorrect in assuming all HDMI cables support sound?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,095 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 11:57 AM #4
Sometimes, don't know why, I have to remove/reinsert my HDMI cable before sound starts working. A few other times I've had to restart the system.

My older HP laptop will play sound through HDMI only with Windows Media Center. Don't know if that is a function of the graphics card, but suspect it is a function of the motherboard or Sound card.
Member with 244 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 01:27 PM #5
That sounds very odd. I was under the impression HDMI should bring sound for all aspects of the computer. Trying to figure out if the 8400GS even supports sound...
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 02:34 PM #6
I agree it's odd, and I somewhat mis-remembered (the application needed). Attached is exactly what a pamphlet with my HP dv6500z (2007) says. It came with Vista, but I have tested recently with Windows 7 and to get sound with HDMI I have to add audio cables. My other (newer) HP is the one that works fine except for the occasional need to replug or reboot.
Attached Thumbnails
HDMI sound-scan0001.jpg  
Member with 244 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 08:16 PM #7
So aparently some HDMI cables do not transmit sound..how do we find out which ones?
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 08:23 PM #8
Quote:
So aparently some HDMI cables do not transmit sound..
Never heard that (not that I claim any HDMI expertise). Do you have a reference?
Member with 244 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 09:00 PM #9
This forum posting is all about how my Nvidia Geforece 8400GS didn't transmit sound over HDMI, no SPDF cable connection or anything...
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 10:37 PM #10
I have never heard of an HDMI Cable that did not Carry the Audio Signal as well. A faulty HDMI cable might not carry Audio. It also may be a setting that is needed on the TV. If you have the Owners manual for the TV you could look it up. If your Graphics card did not support Audio over HDMI you would not have the setting under sound for the TV.

22-Jul-2012, 09:03 AM #11
I am probably just showing my lack of knowledge, but what is the "TV" setting under Sound? On my laptop that only has HDMI sound with that one application I have the S/PDIF setting showing in above attachment. On my other HP laptop and Acer tablet that do have HDMI sound the selection in Sound includes "HDMI." I have no "TV" setting on any of these machines. Do "TV" and "HDMI" mean the same thing, but on different sound cards.

Another "dumb" question. Is sound over HDMI a function of the graphics card, or is it a function of the sound card and there has to be a connection from the sound card to the HDMI port?
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2012, 10:09 AM #12
When I plug my Laptop into my HD TV Under sound in control panel in the playback tab it identifies my tv As a Philips HD TV, to get sound to play over the tv speakers via hdmi I have to make sure the tv is selected.
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2012, 10:11 AM #13
I think thaat the HDMI sound is a function of the Graphics card. But I have been wrong before.
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2012, 10:26 AM #14
Here is a snip of my system connected to the HDTV
Attached Thumbnails
HDMI sound-sound.png  
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2012, 10:31 AM #15
Thanks, dustyjay. Assuming that you are right about the graphics card/HDMI sound here is a factoid that my be important. In that HP laptop for which I got HDMI sound only with the "Quickplay" appllication the card is Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS, which I think is the same card as techmaster85 has except for the M (probably for Mobility = laptop).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!