Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Screen res messed up

(!)

Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2012, 07:12 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Screen res messed up
Hi guys,
Ive recently been experiencing various graphical based issues with my computer, ever since I installed Prototype (the most bugged game ive ever played).

Anyway, the problem is that upon every startup my screen res does not fit the monitor correctly, there is a black border around it. When I attempt to change the res back to 1920x1080 I cant, simply because its already set as that. The screen res will fix itself after so many minutes, but its still quite annoying. Ive tried rolling back my driver update but it has had no effect.

Heres my pc spec:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-2600K CPU 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)
8192MB RAM
DirectX 11 (aparently up to date, I did check)
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Currently my main driver version is 8.980.0.0 and Device Manager and Catalyst Control Centre both say its up to date. Please help!

Thanks,
Damo
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jul-2012, 07:53 AM #2
This sounds like the problem is with the monitor its self... Some monitors have an auto adjust button and if not then find the settings for the monitor by pressing the buttons on it... And find auto adjust... Or factory default if you can't find auto adjust
Member with 54 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 01:29 PM #3
Oh right, thanks for that. Ive messed around with the monitor settings and I'll probably come back here if the problem persists XD
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 08:15 PM #4
Not a problem. If the problem is solved press the "mark solved" button at either the top or bottom of this page
Member with 54 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 06:49 AM #5
Nah, problem still persists
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 07:16 AM #6
My next suggestion is to go to your computer manufacturers website and find the apropite video drivers
Member with 54 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 11:55 AM #7
I have already downloaded latest video drivers for my AMD Radeon, thats when the problem started. So I rolled back the drivers and the problem still persists. However I will try to download drivers again to see if theres any change. Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 07:32 PM #8
My friend had a similar issue with his amd... Try going into the device managed and removing the driver for the video card... Don't worry the card will re detect and go back to the original drivers.. And has had issues with Thier updates lately...
Member with 54 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 10:52 AM #9
Hey, I may have to remove the driver anyway. The problem has got worse, Direct X cannot be found, AMD drivers are aparently not functioning, got this from device manager: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" for graphics card.

As usual, device manager STILL reports my AMD drivers up to date, even though clearly theres a problem. Im stuck with 800x600 res now too.
Member with 54 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 08:41 PM #10
Hey just letting you know I've fixed every display issue now. The original black border around the screen was removed by simply ticking the option "Enable GPU scaling" within the Catalyst Control Centre. Thanks for all the help! Marking as solved...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
resolution, screen res, screen resolution

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!