Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Question about Windows 7-64 bit and ram

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2012, 08:36 PM #1
Question about Windows 7-64 bit and ram
Recently bought a Dell XPS 8500 running Windows 7-64 bit directly from Dell. Had been using XP for years on HP computers so no clue about Windows 7 or 64 bit and very little dealings with Dell. I have a question about RAM and Windows 7/64. Does 7/64 actually double the amount of RAM? In both my order confirmation from Dell and in the packing slip it states "8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHZ-2x4GB. However, system scans show that I have 4GB of Ram with 3 slots open. Opening the case confirms the latter. I called Dell and the technician told me that in Windows 7/64, RAM is doubled so I essentially got the 8GB I ordered. I kind of scratched my head but did not argue. Shouldn't there have been 2-4GB and then if doubled the equivalent of 8GB? I wanted to check around before I called Dell back. (Got this computer 7/20/2012). Thanks for any input.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,942 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jul-2012, 09:02 PM #2
The Dell XPS 8500 desktop has 4 slots in the motherboard for RAM modules.

It supports a maximum of 32 GB of DDR3 RAM - a maximum of 8 GB in each slot.

It supports DDR3 PC3-10600(1333 MHz) and DDR3 PC3-12800(1600 MHz) modules.

The modules come in 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB capacities.

They should be installed in matching pairs for best performance.

----------------------------------------------------------

What's the 7 character service tag/express service code on the sticker?

I'm not there to see the labeling on that single module, but I'm guessing it's a 4 GB capacity one.

Computer Specs
Member with 2,915 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
23-Jul-2012, 12:53 AM #3
64-bit Windows does not "double" the memory. It does however allow the system to recognize more than 3gb of RAM, which was a limitation of the 32-bit OS. If you open the case, and there are TWO modules in there, I would pull one out (with the system off, of course) and it should indicate that it is a 4gb module. With two of them, you have your 8gb. If it only says that it's a 2gb module, then two would make 4gb, and you got jipped.

The "2x4gb" means there are two modules with 4gb on each module, for a total of 8gb.
Dell-Kris Dell-Kris is offline Dell-Kris has a Profile Picture
Dell Representative with 136 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 07:51 AM #4
Hi Sley,
My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Based on your post, it appears that you were shipped with just 4 GB memory.

If you want to PM me your service tag and current shipping address, I would be happy to do the needful.

Regards,
Dell-Kris K

Last edited by Dell-Kris; 23-Jul-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,150 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 09:06 AM #5
Quote:
I called Dell and the technician told me that in Windows 7/64, RAM is doubled so I essentially got the 8GB I ordered.
If you got that technician's name report him/her to Dell. Making an occasional mistake on an order is understandable, and as Krishna posted Dell will correct the mistake, but that technician's statement is inexcusable.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2012, 09:12 AM #6
I agree. That was a stupid reply from the Dell technician.

A 4 GB module doesn't magically become 8 GB, just because it's double-sided and because Windows 7 is the 64-bit version.

-------------------------------------------------------
Member with 3 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 02:58 AM #7
Not doing well with Dell
Thanks for the replies. I called Dell back and after sending them my system configuration they agreed that a mistake had been made regarding what was actually shipped. I received the additonal ram yesterday (7/27). The tech also apologized for the "misunderstanding" regarding the supposed doubling of ram in Windows 7/64. But now I am even more dubious. I asked about increasing my ram from 8 to 16gb but Dell told me that additional ram was not available. I said not available to upgrade when it was stated that it was expandable to 32gb. The tech told me the ram for the XPS was out of stock. I asked where they got the 4gb they were mailing to me. I got silence and the repetitive answer. Ram for the XPS is out of stock. Why not send me 2x4gb of the same ram with the replacement? Silence and then again told it was out of stock. As an aside the xps 8500 is not even shown on their support website and no compatible ram is shown on their site where you can order ram. For the xps 8300 and other desktops but nothing about or for the 8500. I appreciate the ram correction but not starting off well with Dell.
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2012, 06:33 AM #8
Sley:

You're not obligated nor required to buy modules only from Dell, just because you have a Dell computer.

Here are some good sites that I personally use where you can buy them from:

240-pin DDR3 PC3-12800(1600 MHz), CL=11, 1.35V, unbuffered, non-ECC

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...5224C5A5CA7304 (16 GB kit - 8 GB X 2)

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...CD6C65A5CA7304 (8 GB kit - 4 GB X 2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...148%2D477%2DTS (4 GB kit and 8 GB kit)

-------------------------------------------------------
Member with 3 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 01:30 PM #9
Thanks for the reply and info. I'm familiar with crucial having bought ram for my HP a while back. And I saw Ram there that they say is compatible with my Dell after Dell told me they were out of stock. I think I'm just venting and expressing negatives and frustrations about my dealing with Dell so far. Thanks again.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 02:03 PM #10
That's not unique to Dell. All big-box manufacturers are exactly the same. The profit margins on computers is so thin that they immediately lose money with just 1 or 2 tech support calls. That's why HP wanted to get out the business entirely. They're not making any money with it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!