Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I delete everything off my laptop and make it like new again?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Jul-2012, 10:47 PM #1
Smile How do I delete everything off my laptop and make it like new again?
I have a virus on my computer that I'm not willing to spend the money to get rid of, so I've come to the conclusion that I'll just reboot the damn thing to where it's new and suffer the hassle of having to download everything back, ie pictures, music, etc.
I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7. How do I get everything off of it completely? (As far as some recovery disk or even manual, I don't know where it it or anything in that nature. Isn't there some kind of button I can press in order to just get rid everything, except what it originally came installed with?) Thanks.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jul-2012, 11:29 PM #2
Sorry, no magic button to press; but here is the info you need to get your computer back to new again.

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...182&l=en&s=dhs
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 1,600 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2012, 01:05 AM #3
Not drifting off thread, but. When you have completed your new install, I recommend you make an image. To purchase, none better than Acronis. But there are several free ones also. Macrium comes with a high reference ( http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx )

I have several on my computer at any time. One is for a raw install - activated. Another is with my own full customisation. After that, I periodically make images according to my usage and installations of new software.
It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to put an image back. It will then be identical to how you Os was, at the time of making that particular image. - No reactivation or fiddling required. Only requirement is to make sure you have a separate copy, somewhere safe on your computer (NOT on the proposed image partition), of your on-going personal files - probably, those by default stored under your username.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,696 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 10:21 AM #4
Ditto what Davehc said!!! Acronis is the one I use and have been for a couple of years
Computer Specs
Member with 1,998 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 10:02 PM #5
[unauthorized malware advice deleted by mod]

Last edited by TerryNet; 29-Jul-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: unauthorized malware advice
Computer Specs
Member with 1,998 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 09:01 PM #6
Wendypretty1, were you able to remove the virus, or whatever it was from your laptop? I haven't seen a post from you since your first post and I am just curious. Wish you well.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,196 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 12:30 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypretty1 View Post
I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7. How do I get everything off of it completely? (As far as some recovery disk or even manual, I don't know where it it or anything in that nature. ....
You can use a version of Linux called Ubuntu. Full guide here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17044...buntu-live-cd/

It's free and legal. Depending on your experience you may need to follow links within that guide for additional instructions. The version of Ubuntu has changed but the principles remain the same.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
1545, dell, inspiron, laptop, removal

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!