Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Upgrade license

(!)

Member with 276 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 07:12 PM #1
Upgrade license
I have a windows 7 upgrade license which I got thru the Ultimate Steal Deal from MS and put that on a computer which had a mobo failure. I will be replacing the mobo and ram, and was wondering if I can use the current image of my computer *macrium reflect image* to intall that onto the new mobo PC and use the same license, just have to reactivate? I know that manes I could never go back to a computer that had that license on it before, but since it is dead, no worries right?

Confirmation of this is appreciated
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,609 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 08:20 PM #2
First, since you are not replacing the hard drive I don't understand the use of the backup image?

If you are replacing with the exact same model motherboard it may work. Otherwise, you will need to install Windows ('cause the chipset drivers will be different) and Microsoft considers a changed motherboard to be a different computer.
Member with 276 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 08:43 PM #3
Ok, what about if I wipe the HDD, and then install my upgrade copy on top of that? Will I need another key or will I just need to call MS? Since its a retail upgrade I assume that would work, its like any retail version of windows...
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2012, 08:55 PM #4
If it was used to upgrade a retail XP or Vista then it is retail, and a call to Microsoft will get it transferred to and activated on the new machine.

If is was used to upgrade an OEM XP or Vista then it is OEM, and you will need a new Product Key. Doesn't seem quite fair to me if you are replacing (not upgrading) a failed motherboard, and if you plead your case with Microsoft they may let you win.
Member with 276 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 09:11 PM #5
Ya, that is what I was afraid of. Will the call to MS for the retail upgrade require talking to a person, or will that be all automated?
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2012, 09:20 AM #6
Don't know.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Aug-2012, 10:30 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Don't know.
Depends on the type of license you have

I recently replaced my machine and re-installed my retail copy of Win7-64, and had to press 1 to confirm that I had removed the software off the old PC. All automated, no humans involved.

If it's an OEM version and you can convince them that you had to replace the mobo because of a failure, you *may* get them to allow it. Generally, in my experience, they'll normally give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck !
Member with 276 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 09:22 PM #8
By type of liscense on an upgrade though....is there any other kind of upgrade besides retail?
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2012, 08:50 AM #9
Quote:
By type of liscense on an upgrade though....is there any other kind of upgrade besides retail?
If by "upgrade" you mean a discounted price based on having a qualifying XP or Vista then yes; see post # 4.
Member with 276 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 11:26 PM #10
Well, I bought the upgrade thru the Ultimate Steal Deal for students, and I assume that was a retail buy...which I think means its transferable?
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2012, 09:34 AM #11
When I look for information on that deal I find the term "retail upgrade license" (emphasis mine). And from these descriptions note the sentence

Quote:
Upgrade retail license can only be installed on a system that already has an OEM or full license.
You got two discounts on that purchase--an "upgrade" discount and then a student discount on top of that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!