Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

help needed to change from dual boot to windows boot

(!)

Member with 115 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 04:25 PM #1
Unhappy help needed to change from dual boot to windows boot
Hi,

I have installed a year before UBUNTU on my pc with dual boot (i.e. use either window 7 or ubuntu).

the NTFS partition that contains the UBUNTU was corrupted and i wanted to take the dual boot from my PC. I used the instructions from the web site: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...t-environment/

but the disk management tool would not let me delete the NTFS partition.

Could any one help me delete the NTFS partition and use just windows 7 as the only boot. step by step help would be great.

Thanks in advance,
jim
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 05:03 PM #2
Maybe start by attaching a screen shot of the Disk Management window. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.
Member with 115 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 03:56 PM #3
Hi,

please find attached the print screen of my Disk management. even if i restart my laptop nothing happens.
Attached Thumbnails
help needed to change from dual boot to windows boot-image1.jpg  
Computer Specs

07-Aug-2012, 04:39 PM #4
Don't know what that error is about.

If you are trying to delete the 14.65 GB partition the reason you cannot is because it is the Active partition. You probably want to make the 100 GB or maybe the 100 MB partition the Active one. Then you will likely need to repair the boot before you can boot into Windows again. To do the repair you will need your Windows 7 Installation DVD or System Repair Disc. If you have neither make sure you create the latter now while you still can (Start - All Programs - Maintenance).

By the way, if you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD nor a set of Recovery DVDs you should see if you can still create a set of Recovery discs before you find yourself trying to find and buy them.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,285 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 02:27 AM #5
You could also try EasyBCD It allows you to manage your boot menu. I have used it to change from dual booting Win 7 and XP to booting just Win 7. You can download it here http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ you can download the Non Commercial Version for free,
Member with 115 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 01:21 PM #6
its the partiton of 56GB that i am trying to del. well i will try to repair the boot and post.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2012, 02:23 PM #7
I don't see any reason that there should be a problem with deleting the 56 GB partition. Do you get the error message you showed when you try to delete it, or does message just pop up when you open Disk Management?
Member with 115 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 02:26 PM #8
it is when i try to delete the 56 GB partition that i get the error message. when i open disk management there is no error msg.

i was trying to run the EasyBCD. when i open the application it says (see print screen). Now my pc is a bit slow. is it not due to the fact htat i am trying to delete the partition??
Attached Thumbnails
help needed to change from dual boot to windows boot-error-msg-easybcd.jpg  

Last edited by miljim; 15-Aug-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Member with 115 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 03:17 PM #9
When ever i star my PC this is the msg error i get:

"Checking file system on C
The type of the file system is NTFS
Volume label OS

One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. you may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended tat you continue"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!