Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USN Journal Windows 7 Issues

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Aug-2012, 04:00 PM #1
USN Journal Windows 7 Issues
Okay, I am having some serious issues that seem to stem from a storage hard drive.

I was watching a DVD in Windows Media Player and opened iTunes. Then I transferred a folder of music to my iTunes folder. The reason I had both programs open is I have had issues in the past when I transfer music that had been previously discovered by WMP without it being open would causing errors in my library so I just kept them open. The transfer went down just fine and so I decided to add them to my iTunes library and in doing so, iTunes got stuck and the computer started having hiccups. I waited maybe 15 mins and iTunes just sat there so I restarted the computer using the OS. I don't think I did a hard reset or shutdown until a few attempts it just seemed to get more and more frustrating.

I did System restore to a point earlier that day and when it restarted, it did the CHKDSK on the one hard drive and got stuck at USN JOURNAL VERIFICATION COMPLETE and sat there forever. I read that as long as it wasn't in steps 1-3 you could do a hard reset without damaging the data so I did. Once i was able to skip the CHKDSK, the computer was very sluggish, the cpu's various cores were randomly peaking to 100% and causing the computer to hang. One weird problem is during the transfer of data, the video driver kept crashing, not sure what that means.

Haven't had any pop ups from my antivirus. I'm wondering if this happened due to me interrupting the transfer iTunes got hung on or if there is an underlying hard drive issue. I tried transferring data off the hard drive but it gets stuck just a few files in. Sea tools caused the computer to get stuck before it could do any tests. I'm going to try to boot to ubuntu disk and try to transfer smaller sections at a time. Someone please help.

Specs:
Intel i5-2500k on Asus P5Q EM DO
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Seagate ST3500320as
4 GB GSKILL RAM
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 06:53 AM #2
So I don't know what I did but I was able to access the data. I used the Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier to move the data and it only hung up on a few files. When it hung up on the files, it caused the hard drive to dismount. The computer had to be shutdown so the hard drive could be reconnected and restarted. I reformatted the hard drive and now I'm running Seatools DOS to repair the damaged sectors. If not, I will send it in for a warranty return. It has been a looong day. I'm just glad I could recover my data.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
chkdsk stalls, harddrive, usn journal, windows 7 64

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!