Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer wont shutdown and uses 1 hour to start up

(!)

Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 02:28 PM #1
Computer wont shutdown and uses 1 hour to start up
Hi!

My computer wont shut down. It freezes at the "Shutting down" screen. Sometimes it helps to unplug all the cables except screen and power, but mostly it has no effect. It uses about 1 hour to start. It has been like this for a couple of weeks, after I tried different software to record audio from my browser. Maybe its a driver problem? This is the second "period" with problems after i tried this, it has had one period where everything worked fine in the meantime, so I thought the problem was solved. But when it went to sleep mode today it wouldnt wake up, and the problems started again after I had to push reset button. Most of the 1 hour it says "Starting Windows". I have uninstalled all of the audio recording software. Before I did that, the computer made a subtle buzz sound every few seconds when I played games.

I really dont know what to do. Please help!
Member with 1,312 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 08:45 PM #2
Sounds like a program or driver is hanging or refusing to close down fully. Have you tried updating all of your drivers one by one to see if that resolves the issue?

Try starting and running in Safe Mode and see if you are still getting the hangups. If you are, the problem is not just a driver or app, but is either your operating system itself or hardware related (ie BIOS related).

There's also a way to make programs terminate quicker when shutting down the computer but it takes registry editing. Let's see what the status is on your issue before going there.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,199 posts.

09-Oct-2012, 11:53 AM #3
re-opened at OP request
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,199 posts.

09-Oct-2012, 12:46 PM #4
closed at OP request - new thread started here
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/...-problems.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!