Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Printer problem

(!)

Member with 233 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2012, 01:35 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Printer problem
When my son (who has a Dell with windows 7) tries to print from his HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a he get this message:
Titled-c\windows\splwow64.exe and the content reads: Function address 0xd6716FDA caused a protection fault (exception code 0x0000005) some or all property page(s) may not be displayed. Also: Window can not print due to a problem with printer setup. What can I do to fix his problem? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Aug-2012, 05:41 PM #2
First of all, determine whether your son has Windows 32-bit or Windows 64-bit (my assumption will be that he's running 64-bit) by hitting Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System. Uninstall the printer from 'Start' - 'Devices and Printers'. Re-install the printer and check for driver updates here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3752456).
Member with 233 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 07:54 AM #3
pooveyhead, Yes he has 64 bit and I did try the uninstall and reinstall, but it still did not work and gave me the same message.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 08:06 AM #4
Are you able to print to that printer if you connect it to another computer? Have you run any virus scans on the machine to rule out an infection? If not, start with Malwarebytes.
Member with 233 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 08:35 AM #5
We can print to that printer (only print) with just the basic drivers, but when we install the full load of drivers we get that message and it will not print.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 08:42 AM #6
I'm unclear; so you're not able to print from your son's computer to the printer with the full driver installation, but you are able to print (not scan or copy) when you install the basic drivers. Uninstalling and re-installing the printer on your son's computer does not have any effect. If you connect the printer to another computer, are you able to use all of the printer's functionality, only print functionality, or nothing at all? Have you checked your son's computer for malware/virus infections?
Member with 233 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 08:53 AM #7
Yes to the first part and no I can not try it on an other computer and no we have not tried malware. Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 09:29 AM #8
On the HP software downloads web page after you select Windows 7 64-bit, there's a set of downloads under the 'Utilities' heading including, "HP Print and Scan Doctor", "HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows 7", and "HP OfficeJet Pro Software and Driver Removal Utility". I would attempt the Doctor utility first to address these problems and if that does not work, use the Driver Removal utility to completely clean out the printer from the system, then use the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows 7. Here is an image of those options on the HP site: http://i.imgur.com/j1RMU.png

If this is not successful, download and install Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) and run a full scan.
Computer Specs
Member with 167 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 09:33 AM #9
how the printer is connected, if its connected to network

Even though your printer is not locally attached, first try to add it as a local printer. When you do this, and your printer is not in the selection list, use the option to search "windows update". Windows will go away for a while while it downloads a lot of missing drivers. You should now find your printer in the new improved list. Go ahead and install it.

If you need to, you can add as network now or leave local using the IP address.
Member with 233 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 09:50 AM #10
I uninstall all hp drivers completely and reinstall new drivers from the HP website, but still no good.Thanks again for the help.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 09:52 AM #11
Did you try the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...52456&sw_lang=
Member with 233 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 10:18 AM #12
Tried scan doctor, no luck
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 02:10 PM #13
Has your son ever been able to use this printer successfully? If so, what changed recently? I still recommend double-checking your system with Malwarebytes or your currently installed anti-virus software to rule out an infection.
Member with 233 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 02:17 PM #14
We decided to wipe out the whole system and reinstall W/7 to start over clean. Thanks for all your help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!