Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Desktop Is Fragged

(!)

Member with 8 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 04:01 PM #1
Solved: Desktop Is Fragged
For some reason I can no longer place shortcuts to programs on my desktop. Shortcuts to folders, etc work fine but if I place a shortcut to a program on the desktop it immediately disappears or in some cases, the shortcut image remains and if you click on it it tells you it isn't there and you have to refresh the screen to get rid of the image..

I can create the shortcuts anywhere but on the desktop, including in my dock program and they work OK, it's only on the desktop where they fail. When I check the properties on one of the images it doesn't even look like a normal shortcut properties window.

Hoping someone will have had and fixed a similar program and can provide a solution to this... going through the threads now to see if anything turns up.
Computer Specs
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Aug-2012, 02:30 AM #2
Well, if you couldn't create shortcuts to them anywhere, I would think it's some sort of odd permissions issue, but since you can create them anywhere except the desktop it sounds like some sort of obscure group policy setting that's going on. How long has this been going on? Was there a recent install or event that might have caused it?
Member with 8 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:40 PM #3
As the evening wore on, I noticed some other weird goings on like not being able to download application files because the system "cannot find the file specified" , not being able to reinstall applications, just a general slowing down of the whole system and my email program started refusing to send email.

I had some protected system files that had been corrupted Ran the system file checker tool which put things back right again.

Thanks for your response.

Just for further info, the only thing that had been installed new yesterday was Windows Live Essentials. But I restored to prior to that install and still had the problems so not sure if that was the problem or not but I've reinstalled it since the fix and no problem this time..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!