Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System Idle Process running before Windows 7 starts

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2012, 10:39 AM #1
System Idle Process running before Windows 7 starts
In the last 2 days when I start my Win 7 Pro x64 PC I have a problem. After the Welcome screen goes I get a blue screen (Not BSOD) with my cursor in the centre and my Windows 7 title in the bottom right-hand corner. This lasts for about 90 seconds then Windows starts up. I pressed Control, Alt and Delete whilst the blue screen was up and selected Task Manager. The only Process running was System Idle Process. I thgought it was only supposed to run when the system was idle not starting up. I know Windows will not allow you to stop the process but what is causing it to run. My computer is normally a fast start-up - about 32 seconds, but suddenly this. What have I done to my dream machine (12 gb of Ram, 5 hard-drives)?
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,683 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 10:42 AM #2
Can you think of anything you may have added/downloaded or done differently two days ago that might be causing this? Any unexpected shut downs due to power outages? Have you tried a System Restore to a date prior to this happening?
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:51 PM #3
Thanks for the reply, I have restored to 2 days prior to the problem appearing, no shutdowns but I am always tweaking. I have the latest version of Windows7 Manager installed and now uninstalled but no difference. I cannot think what I have done. If I find the problem and solution I will post it here. Scottspa
Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2012, 07:19 PM #4
The System Idle Process shows the amount of processing power that isn't being used. Have you checked to make sure that all your drivers are up-to-date? Have you ran diagnostics for your hard drives and memory? Also try booting into safe mode, if it boots faster then it could be a driver issue.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 02:31 AM #5
Thank you to all, I tried to restore with an Acronis Disc Image for about a month ago BUT part way through I was told my hard drive had crashed. I could not access my drive C and it was not shown ib the Bios or Windows (using Spotmau BootSuite) So as it was my biggest drive I was very disappointed. I swapped all the data from my 4 other drives to an external usb drive then decided to reinstall to a smaller drive. Whilst surveying to see which drive would work best I noticed I had an additional drive 350mb in size. I pried and pried at it and as I did so it got larger. There was no data on it but it was my missing hard drive so now I am finishing off the reinstall but am noticing a few new noises so I think I'll save up on my pension to get a new one. I have no idea what caused the blue screen but thanks for trying to help me. ( I don't trust Acronis any more)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!