Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer running extremely slow.

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Aug-2012, 10:50 PM #1
Thumbs down Computer running extremely slow.
I have a netbook, a Toshiba NB520. It runs extremely slow. The weird thing is that I just got it, installed Mozilla and Picasa, and that's it. The computer itself came with a lot of useless programs like nero, and such, so I removed those. I haven't saved a single picture, song or anything on it, except from those two programs.

It's very frustrating, and at least every ten minutes during surfing my browser just stops working and the "Not Responding" thing happens.

Why is this? We have three other netbooks in the house and this one should have the best specifications, but it is by far the slowest.

Some information:
Runs Win7 SP1
1 GB RAM
Intel Atom 1,6 GHz

What can I do to make it faster? Installing Win XP is not an option since I don't like the XP the interface.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,883 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2012, 10:53 PM #2
Well with that hardware, you can't ever expect it to run very fast.

But let's see what we can do.

-------------------------------------------------

Click Start.

In the search bar, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click the "Startup" tab.

Write down only the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 04:42 PM #3
Yeah that's bare-minimal hardware. What you can also do is go into control panel, all control panel items, Performance Information and Tools. You can also just type Performance Information and Tools in the start menu. Once here, click Adjust Visual Effects on the left hand side of the page. Select the "Adjust for best performance". See if that helps. You also have more options for adjusting things for performance.
oldwise   (Julian) oldwise is offline oldwise has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 08:53 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3lmaac View Post
I have a netbook, a Toshiba NB520. It runs extremely slow. The weird thing is that I just got it, installed Mozilla and Picasa, and that's it. The computer itself came with a lot of useless programs like nero, and such, so I removed those. I haven't saved a single picture, song or anything on it, except from those two programs.

It's very frustrating, and at least every ten minutes during surfing my browser just stops working and the "Not Responding" thing happens.

Why is this? We have three other netbooks in the house and this one should have the best specifications, but it is by far the slowest.

Some information:
Runs Win7 SP1
1 GB RAM
Intel Atom 1,6 GHz

What can I do to make it faster? Installing Win XP is not an option since I don't like the XP the interface.
Which version of which browser are you using?
oldwise   (Julian) oldwise is offline oldwise has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 09:01 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwise View Post
Which version of which browser are you using?
You say you deleted several "useless" programs. I would suggest that you do a fresh install of your OS and see if that fixes the problem. If this works then you should look at how you remove "useless" software, you may be removing files necessary for your system to operate successfully.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
not responding, slow, toshiba, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!