Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Having weird mouse issues. Nothing clickable until CtrlAltDel on bootup

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:22 PM #1
Solved: Having weird mouse issues. Nothing clickable until CtrlAltDel on bootup
EDIT FOR ANYBODY WITH THIS PROBLEM, JUST CUTTING OUT ALL THE UNNEEDED FLUFF SO YOU CAN FIND YOUR ANSWER:

Problem: On boot up desktop is not clickable, have to ctrl-alt-delete to make it so. Some programs do not work right as parts of them become "isolated" forcing the mouse to only work in that little part of the program making the rest inaccessible. On bootup desktop does not work because it isolates your widgets (I could move weather widget around).

Solution: Change mice.
It was related to a broken side button, make sure when you change mice to test a new one that you completely shut down to switch mice, if you boot up with the bad one plugged in and THEN switch them the problem will still exist.

In my research it seems this problem is due to side buttons on mice. So if you use a mouse with side buttons (ie more than just left click right click and scroll wheel) that is probably the problem. Make sure your side buttons are not stuck or broken.

Last edited by FlippinComputers; 18-Aug-2012 at 06:23 PM..
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2012, 02:30 PM #2
Heck, get yourself a mouse you would want to keep instead of a junk mouse If it turns out to be the mouse you will have something your happy with. If it is not a mouse problem you can always return it.
Member with 3 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:33 PM #3
Well I really like my current mouse, it's exactly what I want and they don't make it any more.

I plan to return the mouse regardless if it fixes the issues or not, but I'd rather get a good deal on a nice new mouse online rather than pay best buys terrible price for a new one.

I need to be able to work in Maya NOW, so i don't have the time to wait a few days for delivery.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2012, 02:36 PM #4
Understand getting one online verses BestBuy Good luck...
Member with 3 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 06:18 PM #5
It IS the mouse.

I only tried switching mice while the comp was booted.

Rebooting with the other mouse plugged in fixed my problem.

I had broken a side button on my mouse like 6 months ago, it still WORKED, it just doesn't pop back out when you push it in. It hasn't caused any issues until now. At least that's what I suspect is the issue. I found another forum where a guy was saying his side button was the culprit.

Hopefully anybody else with this problem searching will see this, make sure when testing your mouse to shut down, switch mice, then boot.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!