Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer won't turn on after BOOTMGR is missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2012, 06:23 AM #1
Computer won't turn on after BOOTMGR is missing
So let me give you the entire issue in a timeline-like format so you can get an idea of the issue and what I have done to try and fix it.

> Computer crashes into a blue screen saying 'Windows is shutting down to avoid causing damage to your hardware'.

> I turn the computer back on, it works for a while and then does it again.

> I play around with the wires and it works for a few days.

> I assume it is an issue with the hard drive (corrupt data or something). I format the hard drive.

> It crashes again with the exact same screen as before.

> I play around with the RAM, removing one strip (Out of my two strips). It works fine for a few months.

> I order a load of new components for my PC including a new PSU, new hard drive and new case.

> Everything works fine on the first few days.

> It crashes again (After I think I have somehow fixed the issue) with the same error as before.

Note: The most recent crash happened when I was not using my new hard drive.

> After turning off it begins to restart and says 'Windows cannot find BOOTMGR' or something along those lines and turns off again.

> I press the on button again however all the fans spin (GPU, 2 case fans, CPU, PSU as well as hearing the hard drive spinning). Mouse and keyboard do not respond (Lights on them stay out.) Monitor does not turn on.

> Tried fiddling with a number of things including GPU, Switching between 2 hard drives, RAM etc.

Anyone have any insight as to how I might fix the problem? Or any advice at all would be a great help.

Thanks.

Last edited by co2balance; 20-Aug-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:08 AM #2
Is no one replying because I've explained it poorly or because they just don't know the answer?
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:23 AM #3
It could be folks are still getting up and going about there daily lives. This is a volunteer site and for the most part, problems are addressed in a timely manner, meaning within 24 hours or so. Have patience as I know we have a lot of talented Tech's with knowledge about your situation.

Welcome to Techguy.org
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:24 AM #4
I guess it's just the timezone difference. (UK it's mid afternoon)
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:29 AM #5
While your waiting for someone to address this situation of yours, take a look at this.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/5...em-builds.html
Account Disabled with 49 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2012, 10:38 AM #6
What model is your motherboard? When did you last test your ram?
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:40 AM #7
As far as I know, at no point did I test my RAM.
Here is my motherboard:
http://www.ebuyer.com/341214-asrock-...tx-n68-vs3-ucc

(Apologies if linking to a commercial site is against the forum rules)

20-Aug-2012, 10:45 AM #8
test your ram be sure all caches are disabled and you test base and extended let this run for at least 12 hours http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:49 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootle View Post
test your ram be sure all caches are disabled and you test base and extended let this run for at least 12 hours http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
This isn't an option for me as I have no desktop that is currently working unfortunately but thanks for trying.
I will be sure to do this if I get it working.

20-Aug-2012, 11:05 AM #10
You have a few options,
Try a repair reinstall
Replace the sata cable
Try a different sata port
Update the bios.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 11:12 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootle View Post
You have a few options,
Try a repair reinstall
Replace the sata cable
Try a different sata port
Update the bios.
Unfortunately I have done all of these.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 04:15 AM #12
I have a feeling it's due to the CPU.
I have a warranty on it so I will have a new one sent over and try it out. thanks for your help.
Member with 22 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 08:53 AM #13
I doubt it is caused by your CPU, the BOOTMGR is a file on your Harddrive (one that is needed to start windows. No OS can load without an apropriate bootloader)

Start your computer, right away, start slamming on the 'Del' key (the most common BIOS setup key, if thats not it, it should tell you during POST itll say somthing like 'press *button* for setup') until the BIOS screen appears, if youve never seen it before, it looks somthing like this.

move to the 'Boot' section (likley a tab near the top-right corner) and select boot device, make sure your harddrive is selected as the first one on the list (most people like to keep the floppy drive on top, but my rule is to keep the commonly desired device on top, in this case its your harddrive)

Now, for surefire testing reasons, change ALL entries on that list to your harddrive (yes, all to the same device) this will keep the BIOS from jumping out of order during boot, make sure that its looking for the bootloader on the right device.(remember that your gunna want to undo this afterwards, putting the list in origanal order but leaving the HDD at the top) now save changes and exit, your computer should restart automactily, if not then restart it on your own. It *should* boot.

IF IT WORKED:

the cause of the problem was your BIOS looking for the Bootloader in the wrong place. doing work under the case can often reset the BIOS, and even intalling software can do it, and UAC wont always catch it beacuse its not modifing the HDD. All that work just told the Bios where it was suppose to be looking.

IF IT DIDNT WORK:

Your windows installation has been coruppted, somthing you did or some program you installed (or a virus) or maybe even a glitch in the OS has gone and screwed up the Bootloader. Toss in the system repair disk and re-intall windows, sorry, its as simple as that. You can always try putting the HDD in another system and hope to recover any of you data for backup... but windows is guuna be a re-install.

IF WINDOWS WONT EVEN INSTALL

wheew, every roadblock in china eh? well if this is the case, your HDD is fried, or at least the Boot sector has been burned out, you said that this was on your old HDD, anything 4 years or older is just a bomb waiting to go off. Toss a new one in and re-install.

Thats my thoughts anyway,
-Tyler
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 08:55 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerfb11 View Post
I doubt it is caused by your CPU, the BOOTMGR is a file on your Harddrive (one that is needed to start windows. No OS can load without an apropriate bootloader)

Start your computer, right away, start slamming on the 'Del' key (the most common BIOS setup key, if thats not it, it should tell you during POST itll say somthing like 'press *button* for setup') until the BIOS screen appears, if youve never seen it before, it looks somthing like this.

move to the 'Boot' section (likley a tab near the top-right corner) and select boot device, make sure your harddrive is selected as the first one on the list (most people like to keep the floppy drive on top, but my rule is to keep the commonly desired device on top, in this case its your harddrive)

Now, for surefire testing reasons, change ALL entries on that list to your harddrive (yes, all to the same device) this will keep the BIOS from jumping out of order during boot, make sure that its looking for the bootloader on the right device.(remember that your gunna want to undo this afterwards, putting the list in origanal order but leaving the HDD at the top) now save changes and exit, your computer should restart automactily, if not then restart it on your own. It *should* boot.

IF IT WORKED:

the cause of the problem was your BIOS looking for the Bootloader in the wrong place. doing work under the case can often reset the BIOS, and even intalling software can do it, and UAC wont always catch it beacuse its not modifing the HDD. All that work just told the Bios where it was suppose to be looking.

IF IT DIDNT WORK:

Your windows installation has been coruppted, somthing you did or some program you installed (or a virus) or maybe even a glitch in the OS has gone and screwed up the Bootloader. Toss in the system repair disk and re-intall windows, sorry, its as simple as that. You can always try putting the HDD in another system and hope to recover any of you data for backup... but windows is guuna be a re-install.

IF WINDOWS WONT EVEN INSTALL

wheew, every roadblock in china eh? well if this is the case, your HDD is fried, or at least the Boot sector has been burned out, you said that this was on your old HDD, anything 4 years or older is just a bomb waiting to go off. Toss a new one in and re-install.

Thats my thoughts anyway,
-Tyler
Like I said. It won't turn on. I have a feeling this is due to the CPU as with the CPU unplugged everything internally operates the same. EG fans, hand and disk drive. And the same things don't work such as USB devices.

Looking through the solutions you listed I feel like you didn't really take into account the things I have already done to fix this, but thanks for trying.
Member with 22 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 03:06 PM #15
Quote:
After turning off it begins to restart and says 'Windows cannot find BOOTMGR' or something along those lines and turns off again.
Thats what I based my findings on, if you unplug your CPU, the computer shoud scream at POST (a single long beep)

if it said it once and now the monitor wont even come on, first check to see if the monitor stays in standby when the tower is on, if it at least comes out of standby mode then you know its getting a singnal of some kind, then its likley your BIOS or VRAM getting in the way, if it stays in stanby, then there is no signal at all - the only time ive hit this issue was when my MOBO died, which may be the case here.

You can always try flashing your BIOS, open the case and remove the little watch-battery, leavt it out for about 2 mins, replace and restart. if that dosnt work im afraid that id guess its more than likley the MOBO, as that would also explian why it couldnt read the bootloader from HDD on initail restart.

what happens when you start it with the CPU hooked up? what runs? any funny sounds? any POST msgs?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!