Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows won't install

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 04:20 PM #1
Windows won't install
Hey all.
My rig recently had a few problems w/ an external harddrive so I decided probably a corrupt windows install and tried to reinstall Win 7.
Everytime I try to install, I get to that blue windows 7 background (the one you see during the whole install) and a mouse cursor. I can move the mouse cursor, but it never moves from there. I waited 30 minutes to no avail.
So far I've tried
Clearing BIOS
Trying with only 1 stick of ram, with each stick.
Reseating graphics card
Cleaning heatsink/grills

Still nothing, it just get's stuck there.
I've reinstalled Windows using this same disk, on this same desktop, a good 3 or 4 times. The disk is fine, I also know, because I installed it on a friends PC not even 2 weeks ago (after I started having the problem).
I can no longer reboot into Windows, nor install it.... Any ideas?
Also tried another harddrive to install it on, same thing

Sorry, I figured my PC specs would be visible since I put them in the info when I registered ._.
Here they are.
AMD Phenom II 975 BE
8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
450 GTS 1gb GDDR5 (Galaxy)
500w PSU ( I believe CoolerMaster or Hyper... not sure)
M4N68T-M V2 Asus Mobo
Still using my old 160GB PATA drive for lack of funds/need :P
Moderator with 63,628 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 04:25 PM #2
if you installed it on a friend's pc, I would assume that he is using the license for the OS, correct? That could be your problem right there.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 04:41 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
if you installed it on a friend's pc, I would assume that he is using the license for the OS, correct? That could be your problem right there.
He bought his own license but didnt want to download the 4gb install ISO on his 125kbs connection, so I lent him my disk.
I have my own license. In any case I didn't even get to choose a language screen, let alone the enter a license key screen, so this is not the problem. I pulled out a stick of ram and reset the BIOS again and then reseated everything and I got to pick a language, maybe it will work now. Will report back
Well, it's been on "Setup is starting..." for another 30 minutes... It's gonna take overnight to install Windows now? Something not right. Has never taken this long...

Last edited by imranh101; 20-Aug-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Moderator with 63,628 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 07:45 AM #4
no, something definitely is not right......where did you get this copy of windows? If it ever does boot, we are going to have to run the MGA test on it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!