Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 Safe Mode/Re-install Infinite Loop

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Aug-2012, 06:00 PM #1
Unhappy Windows 7 Safe Mode/Re-install Infinite Loop
Alright, the only way I can accurately portray my predicament is via numbered flow chart:

1. Wake up sleeping computer, nothing happens, starts humming faster and faster, so I pull the plug.

2. Turn on computer, goes through the ASUS screen, then the mother board screen has some weird pixelation on the left scree, like some lines or something. Windows is loading....then black screen forever. do this 1 or 2 more times.

3. Go to System Repair and System Restore. Repair fails and tells me a Boot Driver is failing. Restore fails each time.

4. Hold F1, go to boot menu, hit F8, select Safe Mode. Safe Mode works, fantastic.

5. Do AVG Defrag, Disk Clean, and Disk Repair. Then restart...now I get a blue "Dumping Physical Memory" screen.

6. Go back to Safe Mode, use boot disk, tell it to un/re-install windows.

7. Come back later and find it in Phys Mem dump loop, pop it into Safe Mode again. I then see two Windows 7 OSs to choose from, pick the bottom one. Says it can't complete installation in Safe Mode, restart it normal, Phys Dump loop.

8. I do the same thing for the top Win 7 choice, same thing.

9. I've back up all my files, and have drivers/boots disks for everything I own. How do I wipe my hard drive and start fresh?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,945 posts.

30-Aug-2012, 12:26 PM #2
If you can boot to your Windows installation DVD you should be able to delete all partitions and then create one, format it and install.

First I'd run memtest86+ to test the memory.

Second I'd run a disk check with error correction. If you have an installed Windows you can do this in Windows. Else maybe there is a simple check in your BIOS (Setup), and best is a diagnostic from the drive manufacturer.
Member with 5 posts.

30-Aug-2012, 12:35 PM #3
But I can't boot from the CD now.

I go into Safe Mode, it stops me and says it can't reinstall unless it's out of Safe Mode. So it restarts itself.

Try to boot in normal mode, crashes.
Computer Specs

30-Aug-2012, 12:39 PM #4
Quote:
But I can't boot from the CD now.
What CD? And why does it fail?

I'm talking about booting to the Windows 7 installation DVD. You seem to be talking about using some CD or DVD after booting into the hard drive installed Windows (Safe Mode).
Member with 5 posts.

30-Aug-2012, 06:33 PM #5
Yes, the Windows 7 CD I have says it can't re-install from Safe Mode, but if I try and turn on the computer in anything but Safe Mode it just crashes.

I Was in Safe Mode earlier, and told Windows to do a re-install, which would wipe all my data. So when I try and continue the re-install process it either crashes or tells me it can't complete re-install in Safe Mode
Computer Specs

30-Aug-2012, 07:47 PM #6
See post # 2. You do know how to change the boot order, if necessary, to boot from the optical drive?
Member with 5 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 04:19 PM #7
Don't even know what an optical drive is, sorry
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2012, 05:54 PM #8
Well, this isn't a very technical definition, but an optical drive is one that can read and usually write CDs and often DVDs.
Member with 5 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 06:56 PM #9
Ok, so you're telling me to boot from the CD that's in the optical drive, right?

So how do I select it to boot the CD first? And how do I boot it in non-Safe Mode, which it will not continue the re-install in.
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2012, 07:01 PM #10
Do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD? If not, what is the CD you have?

To boot to the optical drive see the documentation you got with your computer, your computer manufacturer's web site, or the instructions that appear briefly on the screen when you power on the computer. For the latter you can press the <Pause> key to gain time to read. Usually you tap the Esc or a Fn key.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot disk, hard drive, safe mode, total restart, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!