Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Vostro will not start up

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Sep-2012, 09:09 PM #1
Unhappy Dell Vostro will not start up
Hello. I have a Dell Vostro with the windows 7 operating system and an Intel Core 2 duo processor. I've had it for 15 months and I've never had any problems other than occasional freeze ups. Now, I switched to Century Link (not sure if relevant) but around 6 pm (Mountain time) the internet slowed down substantially and froze my webpages and it seemed like my entire computer stopped responding. So I held down the power button. When I tried to reboot, I chose the safety one to see if any files were damaged or corrupted. Unfortunately instead of showing me something, I only see the Windows 7 blue screen with the leaves and bird. I left it alone for 20 minutes, nothing. So I shut it down and tried again. Same thing.

I've never had any problems and I'm horrible when it comes to computers. I'm using an old Dell and it's horribly slow and ancient. I would really appreciate any help or advice you can give me.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Sep-2012, 09:59 PM #2
Can you boot up in safe mode?

How to boot into safe mode in Windows 7
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Sep-2012, 10:02 PM #3
Yes I've tried. when I do a grey bar appears at the bottom of the screen. It says Windows files loading. And it won't go any further.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Sep-2012, 11:15 PM #4
Did your Dell come with a recovery disk?

If you have a Windows 7 install disk or Windows 7 recovery disk, you can try a repair install.

First, remove all other disks and removable storage devices (flash drives, external HDDs) from your computer and insert the Windows 7 recovery or install disk.

With the disk in the disk drive, start up your computer and boot into the disk. When you are prompted, choose a repair or recovery install.

IF YOU ARE NOT GIVEN THE OPTION TO REPAIR, DO NOT DO ANYTHING. If you are not given the option to run a repair install, only a regular installation, simply turn off your computer with the power button. You do not want to run a regular install, which could delete your files and settings.

If you are using the Windows 7 installation DVD, please follow this guide.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...tup-repair.htm

If you are using a recovery disk that was supplied with your computer, please follow the proper documentation that came with your disk.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!