Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Win 7 for use w/Refurbished PC

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 04:58 PM #1
Question Solved: Win 7 for use w/Refurbished PC
I am looking to get another copy of Windows 7 (Full version) - There is a "disclaimer" on the ones that I have seen lately that states that it is "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC". What I would like to know is if this version is the same as a full retail version from Microsoft, or is it limited in some way ?? - Perhaps like the OEM version that can only be installed on one machine (not moved to another replacement system)

Thanks for any help

Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2012, 05:12 PM #2
You are right. An 'OEM' version, once installed, cannot later be transferred with the same Product Key on to a different PC. When that PC is scrapped, that Windows Product Key is no longer usable.

With a retail version, you can remove it from one PC and install it on another, using the same Product Key.

Take care to ensure that you can get Windows 7 drivers for the PC you intend to install Windows 7 on. Check the PC maker's website too see what drivers are available for that model.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
24-Nov-2012, 06:01 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFJones33 View Post
I am looking to get another copy of Windows 7 (Full version) - There is a "disclaimer" on the ones that I have seen lately that states that it is "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC". What I would like to know is if this version is the same as a full retail version from Microsoft, or is it limited in some way ?? - Perhaps like the OEM version that can only be installed on one machine (not moved to another replacement system)

Thanks for any help

Just where are you finding versions of Win7 with this disclaimer? This is certainly pirated software.
Member with 2 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 06:03 PM #4
Not the OEM system builder version
The one I am asking about is not the OEM version. It is sold in the "Normal Green Box" and contains both 32 and 64 bit software and is marketed as the "Full version". However there is a disclaimer printed in the media that states that it is intended for distribution with a refirbushed PC. It looks like a third version (OEM, Full Retail, and this one) Perhaps since MS has come out with Windows 8 - They are now marketing the full retail version as intended for distribution with a refirbushed PC ??

24-Nov-2012, 06:05 PM #5
Quote:
The one I am asking about is not the OEM version. It is sold in the "Normal Green Box" and contains both 32 and 64 bit software and is marketed as the "Full version". However there is a disclaimer printed in the media that states that it is intended for distribution with a refirbushed PC. It looks like a third version (OEM, Full Retail, and this one) Perhaps since MS has come out with Windows 8 - They are now marketing the full retail version as intended for distribution with a refirbushed PC ??
No, it is pirated software.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,223 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 06:05 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
Just where are you finding versions of Win7 with this disclaimer? This is certainly pirated software.
If this was pirated software, it would have no disclaimer at all. I think the OP has a system builders copy of Win7.

24-Nov-2012, 06:19 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance1 View Post
If this was pirated software, it would have no disclaimer at all. I think the OP has a system builders copy of Win7.
Sorry, Bubba, there is no OEM version, or any other copy of Win7 that is licensed to "system refurbishers only", that can be bought online, or in a retail shop. I've been a MS partner and System Builder going on 14 years, and I know a bogus copy of Windows when I see one.

Last edited by Snagglegaster; 24-Nov-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,223 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 06:31 PM #8
Bubba? wow... I'm cut deep.
Member with 27 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 08:52 PM #9
Question Pirated Software
Quote:
No, that does not certainly mean it is pirated software. Why would you state and assume it is pirated? Pirated software almost never comes with any kind of disclaimer.
Member with 27 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 08:55 PM #10
Quote:
Sorry, Bubba, there is no OEM version, or any other copy of Win7 that is licensed to "system refurbishers only", that can be bought online, or in a retail shop. I've been a MS partner and System Builder going on 14 years, and I know a bogus copy of Windows when I see one.
And where did you "See" this copy of Windows the OP is inquiring about?
Member with 27 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:23 PM #11
Question system refurbishers only
Quote:
Then why does Microsoft have these pages available explaining refurbished computers and Microsoft Windows licensing?

Refurbish website
License PDF
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:26 PM #12
Snagglegaster, you continue to amaze me, and not always in a positive way. I too have never heard of a version for refurbishers only, but let's ask questions about maybe a link to one or to a license reference and skip the personal inferences.

And, nobody has said they even have one of those, so there's no question about whether we can help or not.

As long as I'm posting ... FFJones33, obviously we have interest in learning about these; can you gives us any helpful links. Or then retailers who offer these?
Member with 27 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:30 PM #13
Quote:

Thanks for any help

See my post regarding "system refurbishers only". Reading MS licenses always gives me a headache and this time is no different. However, as far as I can see, it is essentially and upgrade to an OEM license and the system would need to have both the original COA and this upgrade COA to be legal. If the original COA sticker is not available, then I would suspect the license would be invalid. As such, it would be almost identical in transferability to purchasing an OEM copy.

Hope this helps.

24-Nov-2012, 11:56 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Snagglegaster, you continue to amaze me, and not always in a positive way. I too have never heard of a version for refurbishers only, but let's ask questions about maybe a link to one or to a license reference and skip the personal inferences.

And, nobody has said they even have one of those, so there's no question about whether we can help or not.

As long as I'm posting ... FFJones33, obviously we have interest in learning about these; can you gives us any helpful links. Or then retailers who offer these?
If you can find a legitimate link to any "refurbishers only" versions of Windows 7, I'll owe you a legitimate apology plus any points you want to give me. Otherwise, I expect a public apology. I'll give it a week.

25-Nov-2012, 12:04 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance1 View Post
Bubba? wow... I'm cut deep.
Yeah, in Texan, it just means "brother" or "friend". No need to be "cut deep".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!