Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

16 bit program on 64 bit Windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jan-2013, 04:00 AM #1
16 bit program on 64 bit Windows 7
As I've learned, my old 16 bit program won't load on my Windows 7 64 bit. If I install my "old" Windows XP, will I then be able to run the old program? Is it that simple?
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

10-Jan-2013, 10:01 AM #2
You could install XP on a separate partition or on another hard drive and have a dual boot. When you boot up you would be asked which os you want to use.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

10-Jan-2013, 10:34 AM #3
You mean I could install XP on an external hard drive (like my terrabyte), and then when I want to use that old program I would connect the terrabyte drive, use XP there? If I do it this way, I then wouldn't be chosing which OS to use when I boot up on the computer itself, right? The old program is an accounting program which is the only software I can't load on my Windows 7 64 bit. thanks.
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

10-Jan-2013, 10:39 AM #4
Not sure about and external drive. Maybe someone else here will have knowledge about that.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

10-Jan-2013, 11:16 AM #5
Have you considered running XP in a virtual machine? I have a couple of programs that won't run in Windows 7 64-bit. I use VirtualBox from Oracle (it's free) and I've installed my Retail XP Professional there. After launching XP in the VM, I can then install my software that won't install on Windows 7 64-bit.

This eliminates the need for dual boot, finding drivers for your hardware for XP, and a number of other issues. Keep in mind that you must have a legitimate Retail XP installation CD to intall in VirtualBox.
Computer Specs
Member with 249 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2013, 11:33 AM #6
Be aware if you install XP on another drive without disconnecting your Windows 7 drive it will overwrite the Windows 7 boot menu, meaning you will only be able to boot into XP unless you restore it (using recovery on the Windows DVD).

You can avoid this by installing Windows 7 x86 (32 bit version) on another disk since it uses the same menu and you won't have a problem.

If you don't have >4GB RAM you're probably better off with the 32 bit version for compatibility reasons anyway - it might be worth just doing a complete windows reinstall to make your life easier rather than dual booting.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

11-Jan-2013, 12:33 AM #7
Before I try bbearren's suggestion, let me ask -- once I've installed my old software in a VM, can I then use it on my computer, my own hard drive? If it's only accessable to me in a VM, that won't work for me.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

11-Jan-2013, 09:00 AM #8
I don't quite understand the question. Yes, you will be able to use it just as if it was a physical PC sitting in the same place your actual PC is sitting.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

11-Jan-2013, 11:36 PM #9
You might have answered my question, thank you, but let me re-phrase it anyway. If I successfully install the old program through Virtual Box with my Windows XP, will it be on my own computer, using Window 7, and therefore available to me without having to go through Virtual Box and Windows XP each time I want to use the program?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,256 posts.

12-Jan-2013, 08:54 AM #10
Quote:
will it be on my own computer, using Window 7
Yes.

Quote:
and therefore available to me without having to go through Virtual Box and Windows XP
No.

VirtualBox is a program you install in Windows 7. You have to run it to "activate" the virtual machine, and then boot to the desired OS, and run whatever programs you want. In the attachment the foreground shows VirtualBox itself, just behind is XP running in VirtualBox, and behind that is the rest of my Windows 7 desktop with a little bit of this Firefox browser window showing.
Attached Thumbnails
16 bit program on 64 bit Windows 7-capture.jpg  

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!