Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

download error says"cannot change contents of folder"

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

27-Jan-2013, 02:18 AM #1
download error says"cannot change contents of folder"
When trying to download any file of the internet, the following message occurs: "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder."
I also can not open certain programs like itunes or spotify. I can download when prompted to choose a destination file but i cant download anything like a software update which requires a temporary internet file.
any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
-Cigars
Member with 2 posts.

18-Feb-2013, 09:46 AM #2
I'm having the same problems too. It all started when the Java update went out on January 11 2013. There was no sufficient warning that it was so vulnerable, so when my automatic Java update happened that day, I went to a website that must have been compromised already, I got hacked, given viruses, ect. I've never had issues with viruses and malware before. I'm careful where I go on-line, and I don't do anything risky to have issues. Now I can't open itunes or any other program for the most part. The process shows up in the task manager, but the program won't load. My antivirus is constantly finding viruses. I can't download anything it gives me a message that says the same thing as yours "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder." I can't get any competent help with this and frankly I'm pretty !$#^#$ off about it. I contacted Java about helping me fix this problem that they created, and all I got was "you may only receive technical support through web chat at a price starting at 50 dollars depending on how severe the problem" ... F'n really?? First things first... at that time I couldn't even get the Java program to work, which coincidentally you MUST have and use for the web chat technical support. Second, it's not my fault that you made a crap product and knowingly distributed it knowing that there were HUGE security holes, yet YOU failed to let the public know. Every pc uses Java. You think they would have warned us with a little sense of urgency. Seems to me that they just wanted to make money by having people buy new pc's, buy new antivirus programs, and pay for tech support. Anyway, sorry for ranting, but I'm frustrated, and I can't seem to get any help. If you find a solution for the problem, please, please let me know. Otherwise, I think I'm just gonna wipe the pc clean and reinstall the os after I buy an external hd to backup my files....
Computer Specs
Member with 5,262 posts.

18-Feb-2013, 09:05 PM #3
Right click on the Temp folder, choose Properties and then Security tab. If you don't see your user name in the list, click Edit, then click Add.
Member with 2 posts.

14-Mar-2013, 11:50 AM #4
That obviously won't work since my computer is jacked up! Did you even read my post? F it! I'm just gonna do a clean install of Windows 7....
Computer Specs
Member with 5,262 posts.

14-Mar-2013, 05:03 PM #5
Quote:
I also can not open certain programs like itunes or spotify
Is this what you meant be "jacked up" ? You should be still able to see the Properties of a folder. Or does that doesn't work also ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!