Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cookies won't store on my computer

(!)

Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 01:49 PM #1
Solved: Cookies won't store on my computer
I am running Windows 7, for some reason cookies are no longer stored. I can't think of anything I've done different that could have caused this. I am also unable to locate my cookies folder in Users/AppData/Roamng/Microsoft/Windows. There is no cookies folder listed. I have the folder options set to View Hidden folders. I tried to create a cookies folder in there, but it states that there is already one in use, but I cannot see it.

I would like my computer to store cookies from the regular sites I visit. How can I fix this problem?!

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Mar-2013, 01:50 PM #2
What protection software do you have running?

This includes any "Clean up my tracks" type of programs?
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Mar-2013, 01:51 PM #3
What , if any, "cleaners" are you using? If Ccleaner, go to options>cookies and select the ones you want to keep.
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 01:51 PM #4
You type faster than I do there DaveA! You seem to have it well in hand, so I'll leave you to help this OP. Cheers!
Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 01:55 PM #5
Hi, I am not using any cleaners at all. I am running Bitdefender. I have it set to not stop any cookies and it states it has not prevented any cookies...
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 01:56 PM #6
Is this a new problem? If so, have you tried a system restore to a point to before it happened?
Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 01:59 PM #7
Hi, yes it's a new problem but new from about 2wks ago. I have thought about doing a system restore, but am not sure if that will affect any work I have done on my computer since then, or computer scans etc. I seem to remember that it happened after I did a full system scan with Bitdefender and it deleted a load of issues. It was the first full system scan I'd done in over a year.
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:04 PM #8
I've only used BitDefender for a very short while so can't advise on that. Just don't know enough about it. You could try a sfc/scannow to repair any damaged system files. Not sure thats your problem but it wouldn't hurt. A system restore shouldn't change much if anything, depending on what you've done to your machine. I'd give that a shot first myself. You have been backing up your important things , right? Your personal files should be safe with a system restore.... you might lose any newer programs, but those can be reinstalled.
Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:07 PM #9
No, I don't back up anything, I mainly just do my finances on there and sometimes upload photos from my camera. Not much else. I could save those files on my usb and then do a system restore. I'll try that.

Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:11 PM #10
You're very welcome. I'll check back in a bit. Let us know if it helped, if not theres other things to try/do. But as mentioned.... like to start simple!
Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:16 PM #11
Hi again, there are no restore points on my system! So it won't system restore... I don't know how to do the sfc/scannow that you mention. Do you know why I can't see my cookies folder? Is there a way to access super hidden folders, if they exist?
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:22 PM #12
No.... no such thing as "super hid" folders. No restore points sound very ominous... can you run any malware scans or your anti-virus? How long have you used BitDefender?

Sfc/scannow : Click Start button > accessories> Command prompt > type sfc/scannow > enter. Let it run.... could take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. Closer to the minutes though I'm sure.

This should be done as an administrator.

Do you have Malwarebytes installed on your machine? If not I very highly recommend it. If so, can you run THAT?
Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:23 PM #13
PS I did do the system scan on the computer and chose to repair all files that were damaged, but this didn't make any difference. I think that may be the sfc/scannow you are talking about.
Member with 10 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:28 PM #14
I will install Malwarebytes as you suggest and try that.

Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 191 posts.

24-Mar-2013, 02:29 PM #15
If you didn't use the cmd prompt to do that then it wasn't a sfc/scannow.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!